GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 17:26:17 +0000
A friend of mine, the past few days back, sent me the following SMS, which
goes:

“What seems to be the end of the road might just be a bend. So do not slam
on your brakes! Just move on success might just be on the way.”

It seems that many Gambians outside the country and on this list cannot see
anything-positive happening in our country and that all is doomed. Well, all
are entitled to their opinions. I, for one, do not share those sentiments at
all! What might appear to some, as the end of the road is just another bend
as far as I am concerned.

Any honest Gambian or anybody who has stayed in the country during the past
couple of years cannot but notice that un-employment is no more a problem in
the country. Everyday, dozens of jobs are being advertised and dozens of new
businesses are springing up everywhere. The construction industry is
experiencing its biggest boom in decades.

The recently, just-ended winter tourist season, though short of target by
about 4,000, as someone within the industry revealed to me, the prospects
for next year look really promising. According to him, our problem is the
limited number of beds that are available in the country. In fact, according
to him, next year’s winter season beds have all been sold out and because of
that next year’s winter season would start at least a month earlier than
before.

Sunset hotel, which had been under renovation is now ready and have started
advertising for various positions ranging from Managers to receptionists and
houseboys/girls. Sunwing hotel, which had been closed for renovation this
past season, is expected to be ready by the beginning of the coming winter
season.

A new hotel, under construction, is expected to open during the latter part
of the winter season. Other hotels are under construction and this means
more and more jobs.

Have a good day, Gassa.

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see,
yet small enough to solve.    -Mike- Levitt-