GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 20:39:13 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No. 89/2007, 1 – 2 August  2007

Editorial
100,000 TO EACH KMC COUNCILLOR TO REHABILITATE  ROADS
There are seventeen wards in the KMC area. There is Tallinding ward  with
19,773 inhabitants; Faji Kunda ward with 12,744, Latrikunda Sabiji ward  11,289;
Abuko ward, 4,345; Serrekunda ward, 18,901; Bundung six junction,  Mauritani
ward, 21569; Bundung Borehole/Bantaba ward, 19,500; Kanifing ward, 6,  275; Old
Jeshwang ward, 8,480; New Jeshwang/Ibo Town ward, 24, 219; Bakau New
Town/Fajara ward 15,981 and Old Bakau Cape Point ward 12,901.
It is  confirmed that each councillor is given 100,000 dalasi to be utilised
to  rehabilitate the roads in their respective wards. This amounts to a total
of  D1.7 million dalasis for road rehabilitation.
The drivers who use the space  adjacent to Serrekunda School have confirmed
that the road connecting their  parking space with Papa Sarr Street is
impassable as the gravel poured there  turned into clay. Residents of many communities
in the KMC area are lodging  similar complaints. Foroyaa, therefore, suggests
that all councillors go back to  their respective areas and honestly give
reports of the state of the roads after  the rehabilitation they claimed to have
undertaken.
Those coming from Old  Jeshwang have lodged complaints of worsened condition
of the road going to the  school. Those in Churchill Town have also complained
of the same  condition.
Road construction or rehabilitation is a technical matter. The  Local
Government Act  has created ward development committees as well as  technical
committees. The ward development committees are supposed to meet  periodically to
look at all the problems in their respective areas.
These  problems are supposed to be discussed by councillors and budgets
prepared to  address them.
Section 13 of the Local Government Finance and Audit Act states  that “No
appropriation of funds by a council shall be made out of the funds of  the
council unless it is approved in a budget.”
According to Section 8  Subsection (7), “A council shall allocate at least
sixty per centum of the  budget for development activities, excluding the
recurrent costs of those  activities.”
Each council is required by Section 18 of the Local Government  Finance and
Audit Act to have a contracts committee comprising the Chief  Executive as
Chairperson, the Director of Finance, the Director of Planning and  Development,
two elected councillors to be appointed by the council, two members  of the
public to be appointed by the Secretary of State.
According to Section  18 (1) “All procurement by a Local Government Authority
shall be carried out in  accordance with the Gambia Public Procurement Act,
2001 and the monetary  thresholds and regulations prescribed by and under that
Act.
To build roads  requires procurement of stones, granite or other materials
for road  construction.
What the council should have done is to rely on the councillors  and ward
development committees to identify the roads that need priority  attention and
cooperate with the Department of Technical Services to conduct  studies on how
to rehabilitate them. In short, road construction must go with  some form of
drainage so that water will not be stagnant on the road.
Foroyaa  wish to caution the councillors to keep receipts of their purchases
of gravel  and other items utilised for road rehabilitation. The Auditors may
call them  some day.
The end result of expenditure of public funds is public  accountability. No
skill to do work, No right to receive funds to do  it!!

THE UNCOLLECTED REFUSE IN KMC
“Management Promise To Tackle The  Matter,”
The residents of KMC have been complaining of uncollected refuse  within
their neighbourhood. When this reporter visited the Sayerr Jobe Avenue  and other
parts of the Serekunda locality he came across heaps of refuse, some  of which
are kept in bags whilst others are just thrown about everywhere. Many
residents, shopkeepers and restaurant owners on the highway complain of foul  odour
they always encounter due to indiscriminate dumping of waste. One woman  who
spoke to this reporter explained that because of lack of a reliable system  of
collection of waste in their area the people are relying on the monthly  “
set-setal” as an opportunity to get rid of their refuse by dumping them on the
high-ways so that the KMC would collect them. She said that due to KMC’s
lateness in collecting such refuse the dumps have indeed turned the whole thing
into a social havoc.
When this reporter visited the Tallinding market he  found that there is a
dump within the market just close to the KMC’s own public  toilet. This site is
so stinky and unapproachable that the sellers who sit  closer have to move
away from the unbearable and oppressive stench.
An old  man, who also sells close to the site, said insects and reptiles have
taken the  place as a feeding ground thus sending signals of an impending
health hazard in  the environment.
When contacted for comments, the Assistant Manager of the  KMC Cleansing
Service, Mr. Kemo Conteh, after being shown some photographs of  the sites, said
there is no magic formula in the collection of refuse. He said  the KMC lacks
vehicles and other logistics. He called on the public to exercise  patience and
to have confidence that the KMC is there for them.
Mr. Conteh  promised that the refuse along the Kombo Sillah highway will be
collected these  days. He claimed to be waiting for their supply of fuel; and
that they were also  making  arrangements to hire trucks to enable them collect
all the refuse.  He finally said that the dumping site behind the Tallinding
Market will be  tackled but did not talk of relocating the site.

CROP FAILURE IN PARTS OF  NORTH BANK
By Ousman M.M. Jallow
Many farmers in the Districts of Lower  Niumi, Upper Niumi and Jokadu have
complained of crop failure. From 26 to 28  July, 2007 this reporter visited
villages and farms in those three districts and  found instances of crop failure.
Misiranding, Lower Niumi
This reporter  met one Essa Sarr upon arrival and asked him how well his crop
was doing. In  response, Essa said he grew all the crops he had, be they
groundnuts, coos or  maize. But to his disappointment the groundnuts did not
germinate due to lack of  rains. He said he sowed the groundnuts on the day after
the first rain in June.  Lamin Ndure and Sutay Senghore, from the same village,
also suffered the same as  Essa. They told this reporter that they could not
sow their crops again because  of lack of money to purchase seeds.
Daru Loween, Jokadu
On 27 July, this  reporter proceeded to Daru Loween where he met the Alkalo.
The Alkalo said one  of his sons, Alhagie Lowe sowed his groundnuts a day
after the first rain in  June but the groundnuts did not germinate because of the
dry spell that followed  the first rain. Fatou Lowe, Papa Touray and Essa Lowe
also suffered the same  fate. According to Essa Lowe, he sowed three bags of
groundnuts just after the  first rain but all his efforts were in vain.
Chisay Majaw, Jokadu
The dry  spell after the first rain also affected the crops of some farmers
in Chisay  Majaw. These include groundnuts, coos and maize. Njanko Touray,
Samba Ceesay and  Mboku Bah were affected the most.
Kerr Selleh, Jokadu
A farmer by the name  Modou Ndow in this village was interviewed about the
success of their crops. He  said that his crops and those of Ebrima Jallow have
been affected.
Chamen  Sosseh, Upper Niumi
It was the same story when this reporter interviewed one  farmer from this
village by the name Banjugu Sidibeh. He said that his groundnut  was also
affected. He said that the long dry spell of almost one month that  followed the
first rain led to the failure of his crops. When asked whether he  sowed some
crops again after the failure, he said he was unable to do so due to  lack of
money.
Touba Angale, Lower Niumi
Crop failure affected more than  six farmers in this village. Some farmers
sowed their crops again while others  could not do so due to lack of money.
Macca Bala Manneh, Lower  Niumi
According to their Alkalo, Bala Manneh, three farmers are affected in  his
village. He said one Modou Touray sowed 6 bags of groundnuts just after the
first rain, but all that he sowed did not germinate. The affected farmers blamed
the long dry spell, that lasted for almost one month, for the failure.
Sulayman  Sowe and the Alkalo himself were also affected. They too could not sow
their  crops again due to lack of money.
Sami Village, Lower Niumi
The Alkalo  said that 7 farmers are affected in his village and they are as
follows: Amat  Mboob, Ebrima Jallow, Modou Mbye, Modou Njie, Salou Jeng and
Fanding Sisay. When  asked whether or not the affected farmers were able to sow
their crops again, he  said some did sow maize but that the others could not.
Kerr Juma Sirra,  Jokadu
On 28 July, I proceeded to Kerr Juma Sirra. One Ousman Bah was asked  how
their crops fared. He said his groundnuts did not germinate due to lack of  rain.
He added that he sowed his crop after the first rain.
Bantanding  Wollof, Jokadu
Some farmers in this village were also affected. They sowed  groundnuts, coos
and maize just after the first rain. But some coos and  groundnuts failed to
germinate. Some of these farmers sowed some crops again but  some did not
because of lack of seeds. The following farmers were affected:  Mariama Jallow,
Bakar Jallow, Modou Jagne and Ousman Jallow.

KMC DISBURSES D1.7 MILLION AMONG WARDS
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
The  Kanifing Municipal Council (KMC) has recently distributed 1.7 million
dalasi  among seventeen councilors for the purpose of rehabilitating roads in
their  wards, Foroyaa has been told.
Duwa Jaiteh, Director of Administration at the  KMC, has confirmed the
disbursement of 100,000 dalasi to each of the ward  councillors. Mr. Jaiteh said: “
Each councillor was given D100,000 dalasi to go  back to their Ward Development
Committee Members and discuss with them with a  view to fill all the
necessary roads needing attention”. He said that this was a  request made by the
councillors at a council meeting. “It was unanimously agreed  to assist them in the
rehabilitation of their roads”, he said.
KMC’s Chief  Executive Officer, Abdoulie Sanyang, told Foroyaa he was
satisfied with the work  in some of the areas he had visited.
Mr. Sanyang said “there is a contract  committee in place to monitor these
things. I’m sure they will come with a  positive report. I’m sure councillors
are responsible and they will not deceive  their electorate”.
The wards that the KMC CEO said he had visited were Faji  Kunda, Bundung-
Mauritania and Six Junction, Bundung Borehole and Bantaba, and  Latrikunda.

SUPERIOR COURTS GO ON VACATION FROM TODAY
By Bubacarr K.  Sowe
The Superior Court of The Gambia will today commence their summer  vacation,
stated a note from the Master and Registrar of the High Court,  Safiyatu N’
jai. The two month holiday is expected to end on Friday, September 28  and the
new legal term will commence on Monday, October 1.
However, during  the vacation, Justice S.M Monageng will be the vacation
judge from 1 to 14  August.
Justice H.C Roche will then step in from 15 to 31 August as the  vacation
judge, while Justice M.M. Yamoa will be the vacation judge for the  whole of
September.

SEYFO MOMODOU L. CEESAY REMOVED; HARUNA SABALLY  REINSTATED
Confirmed reports reaching this paper have it that Mr. Momodou  Lamin Ceesay,
the recently appointed Chief of Jarra Central, has been removed  from office.
According to reports, Ceesay was on Wednesday afternoon phoned  by Governor
Modou Soma Jobe who asked him to meet him at the Tabokoto Junction  where he
was said to have handed to him his termination letter. Mr. Ceesay was  appointed
Chief of Jarra Central on the 25 of May 2007 and had served in office  for
only two months.
Haruna Sabally, who was said to be the longest serving  Chief in the country,
was retired two months ago and Ceesay appointed in his  place.
This reporter contacted the family members of Momodou Lamin Cessay who
confirmed his removal.
When contacted, a staff of the Department of State for  Local Government and
Lands confirmed the removal of Momodou Lamin Ceesay as  Chief and the
subsequent reinstatement of the retired Chief Seyfo Haruna  Sabally. The source,
however, fails to throw light on the reasons that prompted  his removal.
The Governor of Lower River Region Mr. Modou Soma Jobe declined  to comment
on the matter.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
HEART BREAKER’S  NEMESIS
Part 8
With Amie Sillah
Thugs Attack Lolly
Lolly have  created a lot of enemies through her wicked schemes. She had
destroyed serious  long built relationships and caused heart break to friends,
confidants and love  ones. One of those on whose toes she tread sent thugs after
her. They lured her  to her house and gave her a good hiding. She was beaten
to rubbish then they  left her. She nursed her wounds in isolation and pain.
But she still could not  associate her troubles to her wicked schemes. She is
still short  sighted.
Lolly’s Mother
Lolly’s mother visited her younger sibling in the  city. Aunty Aisha is Aunty
Sawyatou’s youngest sister she stays in the city with  her husband Uncle
Musa. Lolly was staying with them when she came to school in  the city. When she
was expelled from the university, she decided to move out  with friends. Now
she hangs out with friends but managed to rent a modest duplet  for herself
where she stays during weeker days. Aunty Sawyatou was anxious to  see her
daughter after so many months of not seeing her. She was shock to learn  that Lolly
has relocated from her Aunt’s and uncle’s house. She was worried. She
enquired about her. “Lolly is not staying with us.” Uncle Musa replied. “Where  is
she staying now?” Aunty Saw asked. “Since she acquired her new job she
relocated to be nearer her work place are her reasons.” Mama was excited. “Lolly
is working! My daughter is working! Where?” Uncle Musa got blanked. “Actually,
 we don’t know her work place.” Aunty Saw lamented. “Oh Lolly has killed me!”
  Uncle Mose laughed over it. “It is not a great deal now. Many girls are not
 staying with their guardians in the big city. They move out whenever they
have a  job far away from their homes.” “What is the problem?” Aunty Aisha
asked. “There  is this family Sawaneh, their son Ablie who stays in U.K wants a
wife. Lolly is  identified because Alhaji Saikou Sawaneh was my late husband’s
best friend and  business associate. How would they feel to know that Lolly is
living alone in  this big city without a guardian?” “Oh sister! Don’t you
worry. We are a family.  We will welcome them as Lolly’s guardians in the city. I
can always go to her  closest friends and they will locate her for me.” Aunty
Aisha reassured her  sister. “Oh thank you! Thank you very much.” Aunty Saw
said. “No need to thank  me we are a family.” She hugged her sister and
prayed to Allah. Uncle Mose  laughed and hugged his sister in law and his wife
Aisha. They praised the  lord.
At Lolly’s Duplet
They went to Lolly’s Duplet and announced the news  to her. At first she
become skeptical. “Mummy! You are finding a husband for me?  That is in the 15th
century not 21st.” Mamma was defensive. “Not actually! Ablie  came after you.
He knew you at school before he left for overseas. Your two  fathers were the
best of friends and business associates. This is their wish.”  Lolly
reflected. Mammy! Hold on! Is it Ablie, the dandy boy, fair coloured and  Afro hairdo?
He read business admin and has now double masters.” “Exactly! Can  you
remember him?” “Yes mum! If he loves and seriously wants to marry me, I’ll  accept.”
 She hugged her aunt and mum. They praised Allah.
Ablie Comes With  His Family
Ablie came with his Uncles to bring cola nuts and to register  interest in
marrying Lolly. Lolly also showed interest to marry Ablie. Consent  of the
intendeds was sought after. (‘Guru Nuyo’). In many African Cultures Kola  is life.
It is used in all important human ceremonies. Name it, birth, marriage  and
death.
Lolly Bluffs
Lolly went to Sally’s Boutique. Sally is a big  lady. She owns a Boutique and
a saloon. She is a ceremony planner. Her new  stocks have arrived. Ladies
swarmed her boutique. She is a fashion pacesetter.  Lolly visited her shop. She
wanted Sally to plan for her incoming wedding.  “Whats up?” Sally commented as
Lolly stepped into her boutique. “I want you to  plan my wedding.” Sally
startled. She sat upright. “What! You are getting  married?” the news shocked
her like a thunderbolt. “Of course! I am. Should I  not get married? Every girl
however rotten prays to be a Mrs. I am no  exception.” Lolly defended her
position. “Am sorry! I just thought you were not  yet ready. I am proven wrong.
That’s the meaning of the surprise. Anyway, don’t  mind my manners. Who is the
lucky guy?” Lolly laughed. “Ablie, he hailed from  Upper Region. We schooled
together. He is now staying in Burmingham. He is  Alhajj Saikou Sawaneh’s son.
He is cute and dandy. I’ve said it! I’ll not settle  for any local
riff-raff. My wedding is going to be the talk of time for  eternity”. “You are
smelling pound sterling. It fills the air”. Sally teased.  “Say it again! Ablie have
made the buck. He is ready to spend for a special  wedding. Don’t spare a
butut! We have it and will spend it.” Sally hugged her  and took her into her
inner boutique were only special guests are welcomed. She  was given a cataloque
to do her selection.
Penda Visits Sally’s Shop
Penda  is in Sally’s ‘Cabudu’ (Social Club). She came to inspect her stocks.
Sally  hugged her and started to show her around. Then she halted. “Guess
what!” Sally  quizzed.” I can’t! What is it?” “Lolly was here today!” “Which
Lolly?” “Lolly  that kills your joy!” Penda frown and hissed. “What have she
come for?  Somebody’s boyfriend to snatch? That one!” “She came to plan for
her wedding.”  Penda dropped her bag.” Which wedding? Who is marrying that ‘
layabout’? Are you  trying to pull my legs?” Am not! It is true. She said Ablie
Sawaneh, a guy from  Upper Region, an ex class mate now staying in U.K have
come to marry her. She  came for me to choose her clothes and accessories for
the wedding.”  “Unbelievable! Lolly of all people! It is unfair! She have
tread on too many  toes. She have destroyed many genuine relationships! It cannot
happen! It  cannot!” Penda swore. Sally dragged her into her inner shop. “Pay
back time!”  Penda soliloqued.
Thugs Again
As Lolly and Ablie went shopping they were  intercepted by thugs. Lolly have
to run for her dear life. Ablie was shocked to  death. He was embarrassed.
Confrontation
When they arrived home, Ablie  questioned her. “What is happening? Who are
those thugs after your life?” Lolly  sulked. “I don’t know them!” “But its
strange! They looked deadly. Have you any  score to settle with anyone!” “I don’
t ! I said I don’t know them what else do  you want me to say? To know them by
force?” “I don’t believe the fairy tale!  Have you any axe to grind I asked
again.” “It could be mistaken identity. I have  a swollen bag with money, my
jewelry. They could have been attracted by these  items.” She lied. “Am
sorry! You should understand my predicament. I am not  trying to blame you but I am
scared for our lives. How can some crazy trigger  happy guys came pointing me
a short gun at close range? Then ran after you! I am  absent from the country
for a while. I am scared. I don’t want anything to  happen to us.” “You have
traveled abroad for a while. You could have made  enemies before you left. Don
’t blame me for anything. I am innocent.” Ablie  became furious. “Hold it
there! Don’t even go there! Are you hiding something?  Explain yourself before
it is too late. I can be of help.” Ablie posited.

EPA WILL IMPACT ON COUNTRIES DIFFERENTLY
Mam Cherno Jallow, the Chief  Executive Officer of The Gambia Chamber of
Commerce and Industry (GCCI), has  indicated that experts are yet to have a full
picture of what impact the  Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) will have on
the regional economy. Going  further, Jallow pointed out that impact an
assessment had been conducted on what  the regional market is going to be like, but
the studies are yet to be  completed.
Mr.Jallow said different countries have carried out their own  impact
assessment, “but that is not helpful”.
Explaining further, he said  what is important is to have a global view of
what is going to be in the  regional market. In his opinion, the countries are
going to be hit differently  depending on the type of economic set up they have
in place.
Mr. Jallow said  the Economic Partnership Agreement being negotiated by the
European Union and  ECOWAS will bring about regional integration.
“Some countries have  been protecting their borders by putting in place taxes
and non tax barriers to  protect their industries and discourage the
importation of goods from some  countries in the sub region. With the EPAS, the
tariffs and non tariff barriers  are all going to fall. This would ease the movement
of goods and services across  borders,” he remarked.
The GCCI CEO said one of the conditions of the  Economic Partnership
Agreement is that there should be regional integration in  West Africa.
“East Africa is negotiating with the EU, the same thing applies  to Central
Africa and other regions. They are negotiating as a block, that is  why the
integration is a requirement for us to go into Economic Partnership  Agreement.
It has been ECOWAS’ plan to have regional integration, but they have  been slow
in implementing the negotiation programme. But with the EPAs, we have  been,
sort of, forced to work into it quickly to make sure the region is  integrated
quickly. The pillars are being put in place. Because for regional
integration you must have a customs union. You must all be working in one market  so
that there would not be boundaries anymore between countries in terms of
trading. Once you are in the ECOWAS market, you can move freely from one country  to
the other, the same thing applies to the goods” he remarked .
“If we  go into EPAs, it may affect the growth of our industries, because
their  industries are more developed, they are stronger, they have economies of
scale  and there is no way that our industries can compete with their
industries. But  the EPAs are not saying that there should be reciprocal agreement from
the  onset. What the EPAs are saying is that ECOWAS countries will be given a
period  of time before they will allow European countries to compete with
ECOWAS  industries directly. What we are negotiating is to make the period as
long as  possible. But the Europeans want it to be shorter. ECOWAS negotiators
want the  period to be between 30 and 35 years for us to open our borders for
goods coming  from Europe. The Europeans are saying a period of ten years is
enough. That is  what is on the negotiation table,” Jallow remarked.

SUFFERING IN SILENCE;
THE PLIGHT OF GAMBIAN NURSES
Please allow me  space in your widely read Newspaper to put my case before
the public and the  leadership of our country for their honest and sincere
consideration. I am a  young man of thirty seven years of age. I graduated as a
Nurse (State Enrolled  Nurse) and started working in early 1994, well before the
July 22 military take  over. Therefore, I can proudly say that I have served
my country now for  thirteen years in my capacity as a nurse, and during all
this time, I have  neither been suspended nor given any warning letter.
I have worked both in  the urban and rural areas of the country under very
difficult conditions:  sometimes conducting deliveries under candle light or
hurricane lamps in very  poor ventilated rooms during hot summer seasons and
without proper personal  protective equipment and knowingly risking my own life in
the process of saving  others.
I have not regretted and will never regret whatever I do or went  through in
serving my countrymen and women. I have the desire to serve them for  the rest
of my life. However, I come to realise that I have a duty to my family  also
and which is to feed and cloth them well and to give them a decent shelter,
which I could not do because of my earning capacity. After thirteen years of
service, I could not save anything to enable me to secure an empty plot of land
 for myself and my family. All I earned goes to feeding, clothing and payment
of  school fees. With the rising prices of basic commodities, even the little
I was  able to do for the family is becoming an impossibility. Sometimes I
sit and  ponder about what would happen to my family if I should die today.
Where and how  are they going to live? Probably it was such thoughts which might
have forced  many of my colleagues in the field to leave for private clinics
and hospitals,  NGOs or even go abroad in search of greener pastures. It is not
because they are  unpatriotic or unwilling to serve their country, as some
people may think, but  because they could not foresee any bright future for their
children with their  parents continuing to earn what they are earning under
government employment. It  is in light of these circumstances under which I am
living which force them to  leave.
The Government, therefore, needs to do something to encourage us to  stay and
continue serving our people. We, too, need to have hope in the future  of our
children, if we are to continue serving for the rest of our lives. We  need
hundred percent salary increment and land to provide shelter for our  families.
A concerned Nurse

ACCUSED ALLEGES TORTURE
By Modou Jonga
One Vincent Badjie, an accused  person in an alleged house breaking and theft
case, has claimed that he was  severely tortured by police officers attached
to Gunjur Police Station, to the  extent that he had to admit committing the
said offence.
The accused person  made these remarks on Monday 30 July, 2007 before
Magistrate E.F M’bai, while  cross-examining, Lamin Colley, second prosecution
witness. According to the  accused, he was unlawfully arrested, handcuffed and
dragged to the Gunjur Police  Station from his residence at Gunjur Madina Salaam,
in Kombo South. The accused  person said that, he was threatened and severely
beaten to confess and accept  that he did break into and stole from  the house
of the complainant, Mr.  Luis, a German national.
Because of the fear of a further dreadful torture by  the police, the accused
said that he had no other option but to accept the  suggestion of the police.
The complainant was absent in court.
At this  stage, the accused was informed that he should only ask questions
but not to  give statements that he will have his chance to give his  evidence.

REPATRIATED GAMBIANS RELEASED
The seventy-five (75) Gambian  would be migrants, repatriated from Spain,
have been released by the authorities  on the same day that they arrived in The
Gambia as disclosed by the Immigration  PRO, Superintendent Aminata
Jammeh-Sonko.
According to the Immigration PRO,  when the seventy-five returnees arrived in
The Gambia on Tuesday 24 July 2007,  they were screened by personnel from her
department and subsequently released.  She further said that no charge has
been preferred against any one of the  returnees.