GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ndey Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 10:09:53 +0200
Kebba and Saul,

<<<<If the British Embassy in Gambia wants to keep itself busy and in the limelight giving out press conferences, they should be engineering aid that is more meaningful to the Gambian poor.>>>>>>

I agree with you guys and I am not suprise to see that the British government are in such a  mission at this most difficult period in our country.  For how long have the British been training the Gambian army, what have they brought to us. Just move back to the whole continent and we asked ourselves why are the military, army after training becomes so inhumane and brutal? Why is it only in the developing countries we are faced with these kinds of brutality within the army, a machinery which   is suppose to protect and defend its people. Why these things are not happening in Europe or  America? We should start looking into how the West train our army because so far few came out from that training with a human touch. Just look at Kebba's heading after "7 years UK resumes to military cooperations" well said "Why Military Aid Now"?

One thing we will have to accept is that these people don't care how many Gambians are killed , murdered, butchered etc.  as far as we don't take up the responsibility to deal with our own situation.  Britain's attack in Sierra Leone to release its capured soldiers clearly stipulated that. Where they not  in Sierra Leone before it escalates to what it is today? Was the UN not there as well? As Kebba rightly put it in the above quotation, these people should stop giving meaning less aid to the Gambia or any other African country.  What we have been observing throughout is that the type of aid send to Africa is always meaningless and has no relevance or link to the elimination of  the poverty and instability that has been haunting us for all these decades. Even where as they know the loan or aid money does not reach the masses they will continue to give them inorder to empower these brutal regimes, why?   Saul mentioned the need of more doctors etc. Yes we need more of these skilled manpower but look at the MRC for how many years these people are based in the Gambia but they cannot find a single solution to the most killer disease in our country, "Malaria". How can we have Medical Research Council that cannot  find preventive  measures or drugs to diseases that are very common in our country for decades. Infact most of the British Medical Students will use that space to do their practicals and of course use our people as their medical testing ground.

This again shows us that as far as we are not ready to take up and shoulder our responsibilities these people will continue to ruin our continent. We have to be our sisters and brothers keepers, especially those of us abroad. We have to start devising mechanism of checking and following up some of these aids and training our people go through. We have to organised into our professional fields and start a discourse as to what to do with the situation back home. Doctors, engineers, economists etc.  even among the progressive military to look into why are we still where we are. There must be a discourse that is cheered by us, directed by us, organised by us in order for us to change the situation back home and hopefully that will be a lead to the freedom of our continent. We have been suffering unnecessarily for so long, we have the brains, energy  why can't we bring them together into something positive. The demonstrations and protest in New York has shown us that together and organised we can make a difference. Lets put our differences and work together as professionals and people with the determination to change our society for real. We can do it and we have the space.

Ebrima  Ceesay and co, I hope you guys in the UK will asked the defense minister why did Britain think that military aid is a priority or solution to our present problems.

The Struggle Continues!!!
Ndey Jobarteh

----- Original Message ----- nFrom: Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>