GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 21:02:45 -0500
Comrades:

As opposition members, we are equally entilted to different
political ideologies. As such, the APRC is also
entitled to reach out to us for our nation's building.
Acceptance of APRC's invitation is by no means a
surrender of principle, but a call to be part of our
nation's building.  This I accept with the understanding
that the interest of The Gambia is above my very own.  I seek no
position in the APRC government.  All I ask for, is a prosperous
and democratic Gambia.  I hope one day I can team up with
some Gambians in operating a private college in our country.

During the last seven years, I have been a vocal critic
of the APRC government.  I neither compromised by views,
nor refused to acknowledge political reality, especially
at critical moments of our struggle.  Politics should not
be bent on blind trust and refusal to understand the
basic tendencies that we share in our desire for a
democractic and prosperous Gambia.  We should fully
understand that we are ethically responsible for being
partners in the development of our country.  This
I advocate, is inherent in a more simplistic term of
political loyalty.  Political loyalty I advocate, is
putting The Gambia first before anything else. I will not
accept any position offered to me.  My interest is to
establish a private college in The Gambia.  A mind if I
can borrow from the United Negro College Fund, is a
terrible thing to waste.

It will be fruitless to not acknowledge an extention
of an olive branch from the APRC.  Some will say with the
pattern of Jammeh's leadership and promises made, will never
materialize because some are at a point of predicting
what Jammeh will do.  I say in a point of political reality that
it is at best to take a risk in accepting an olive branch
from Jammeh.  Gambians will remember if things fail that
at least the NCP had tried to be conciliatory in crossing side
with Jammeh for the interest of The Gambia.  I want to assure
my fellow comrades that I will not accept any position in the
APRC government.  I will condemn any inconsistencies and failures
to uphold to promises made.  I am not taking a political vacation,
but a political maturity in seeking the interest of our country.

As a member of the NCP, I am part and parcel of this great
party.  I cannot and will not turn my back after careful
endorsement from the membership of the NCP in accepting an
invitation from the APRC for our country's interest.  As
a member of the anti-Jammeh wing, I am willing to give
Jammeh the benefit of the doubt for the interest of The
Gambia. I want to clearly reiterate that I will not
accept any position in the APRC government.

While some may disagree with me, I want to reiterate
that this is my sacred right, and I hope some will
understand my point.  Though I am willing to be a loyal
and willing partner for the development of The Gambia,
I want to pinpoint that I will not be a prisoner of
thoughts in engaging with the APRC.  I concur that if
more of us are willing to do this, the APRC will soon
realize that the opposition also shares the same interests.
I will turn down any employment offers from the APRC
government.  I will keep an eye on the operating style of this
new relationship.

Today is day of reasoning.  Today is a day of political
maturity.  Today is a day of understanding.  Today is
a day of our nation's building.  Today, my friends, I
will wait for an endorsement from the NCP in accepting                       an olive branch from the APRC for the interest of The Gambia.

Finally, comrades, the interest of The Gambia is above
my very own and the NCP's.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh,MBA
Greensboro, NC/Kombo East Constituency