GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 10:17:42 EDT
"Reviewing the situation, the union is satisfied that the paper has committed
 no crime and that the matter could have been handled differently without
 resorting to high-handedness.

 The invasion of the  Independent office and the mass arrest, detention
 incommunicado  of its staff, coming close on the heels of the official order
 of July 23 to the paper to cease publication, point once again to
 government's relentless campaign to silence the free press whose only crime
 is that they dare to differ.

 Therefore, in the interest of our fledgling democracy, a free press is an
 indispensable guard against the prospect of this country being classed among
 the fascist states of the new millennium."