GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alpha Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 21:50:23 +0100
This poem was written a few days before the dramatic ousting of Milosevic. In the middle of the night, while
working, I had to pause for a while to write these words down. As I was writing, a rhythm accompanied the
words. It is yet another tribute to the people of the world yearning for freedom and a dignified life. Power
indeed belongs to the People!

making history

We are making history
And it’s no mystery
So people of the world
Get up and fight
For only you can free thyself

One wall has crumbled
Another comes tumbling down
And many more shall follow
Walls! Walls! Walls!
Walls everywhere
Walls in society
Walls in the family
Walls in our minds
Walls!

Tumble they shall
This is no crime
It is your right
For you are the bastion of humanity

Bring your might to light
And make it right
In broad daylight

This battle isn’t about ideology
Nor is it about politicking
The tool turned game
This battle isn’t about you and me

Rich or poor
Black and white
Are only part of the whole
The whole is more than the sum
Yes it’s more than you and me

It’s about a heritage of millions of years
Skilfully carved to be the beauty you are
The beauty in and around you
Blood bones and flesh
Mind feelings and ego
Memory creativity and Culture