GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bamba Laye Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 00:03:28 -0700
Comrades,

"Times of crisis focus and awaken a community's awareness of its central
vision of life. It is during such moments of crisis that the integral and
inherent truths that shape, guide, and center the life-cycle of that
community's vision take on a dramaturgical quality within the minds of its
adherents and followers. We are living in such a time." - Steven Craig
Hickman

Now that I have some time in my hands to wonder around in my own world of
conscience and reality checks, I have decided to do a reflective analysis of
where the fight against tyranny in the Gambia on Gambia-L is heading. I have
come to the conclusion that a lot needs to be taken care of in our own
backyards. This is not, by all means, veered towards any individual or
group. It is my personal reflections triggered by recent exchanges within
our very own circle of comrades. I must admit that some of what I have
mentioned here does apply to myself in all counts. That is the crux of this
write up. To reflect upon ourselves and how our actions and deeds impact our
messages. For it is only through such reflections that we
will............(well, you tell me).

"Do as I say not as I do". We've all heard this concept before don't we?. We
often wonder why others are able to break the rules while we can't. Today,
we often see this same policy active in government, mainstream religion, the
workplace, etc. We still have trouble grasping this double standard. How do
we deal with it?

We are often a self-congratulatory lot, patting ourselves on the back that
we have the solution to our individual political quandaries, we are very
aware, we are "light-bringers" and so forth. We espouse truth - speak
honestly and with sincerity! We claim to accept and respect each other, for
who and what we are, regardless of who/what that may be. We proudly proclaim
that we are more tolerant than others. We adamantly proclaim that we are a
caring, close-knit community, open to any and all who think like us or have
the same feelings like us. I would love to say that this is all true...but
it isn't.

In reality, we are just like other people. Some of us lie. Some of us cheat.
Some of us are intolerant, or disrespectful, even closed-minded. We
sometimes fail to come to the aid of others, even when their need is right
before our faces - not because we have prior obligations or legitimate
reasons for holding back, but because it is inconvenient for us to lend
assistance. We fall into the trap of jumping to conclusions about others'
actions and words, eager to suspect the worst. Too many disagreements are
waged simply because one person's approach is different from another's. How
many of us commonly say ugly or degrading things about someone who is not
present to defend her/himself? How often would we actually say those things
TO the people of whom we are speaking? Let's admit it...we haven't found a
font of wisdom which can be absorbed by osmosis, then followed effortlessly.

I've been actively reminded that we don't always practice what we preach.
It's a relatively easy thing to open one's mouth and have words fall out. It
is a different thing altogether to actually change one's life accordingly.
Likewise, seeing contradictory behavior in others is easy; being aware of
one's own mistakes is a far more difficult task.

As for the subject of inter-personal bickering, it is a disease that can
cripple or even destroy whole communities. But only if we allow it to infect
us. In or out of a lab, if a virus can be isolated, it can be stopped. The
only way to kill a rumor is not to repeat it. The only way to satisfy a
doubt is to go to the source and ask a direct question. The only way to stop
pettiness is to rise above it. The only way to avoid negativity is to
embrace positive pursuits. We are only human, and we fall prey to these ugly
sores sometimes. Does that mean we have to let Gambia-L be dragged down by
them? Nope. Never.

Here's hoping we can all grow into greater awareness and away from senseless
infighting, both as individuals and as larger communities.

Abdoulie A. Jallow
www.dalasigram.com
Making sending funds home more fun than hassle.
402-639-1105