GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 19:15:56 -0700
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 19:26:17 -0400
From: David Bryden <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
Subject: [AfricaMatters] African speaker to tour US to say "cancel the
    debt!"

Jubilee 2000 debt cancellation supporters --  grassroots groups, NGOs,
religious groups, universities:

At the end of October Jubilee 2000/USA will have the honor of receiving
Ghanaian debt cancellation advocate & campaigner Dr. Kwesi Owusu (see
biographical info below)

He will travel in the US from October 31 to November 15, sponsored by
Jubilee 2000 USA, in order to help raise the call for cancellation of the
unjust and crushing burden of debt Africa still bears.  He will travel to
Washington, DC, Nashville, New York  City,
and possibly one other stop (possibly Philadelphia or Memphis -- to be
determined)  (Do you have contacts in those areas?? -- if so, please share
this info)

His schedule still has much flexibility and we are open to groups
hosting him for speaking engagements etc.  He will be in Washington DC Nov 1
and 2 (possibly also Nov 14), in Nashville Nov 3-5, NY City Nov 6-8, Phila
Nov 9-11 (tentative)...

Should your group be interested in receiving Dr. Owusu, please contact me as
soon as possible and we may be able to arrange something.  I think you will
find him a facinating and inspirational speaker.

Few Jubilee 2000 representatives have his breadth of knowledge of the extent
of debt cancellation campaigning in Africa

Finally, the Jubilee 2000 campaign for debt cancellation for Africa and
other regions of the world is very active in the US and needs YOU!  We have
already made significant progress, with abour $15 billion cancelled so far.
We have active groups all across the US.  Please see our web site for our
latest action alert http://www.j2000usa.org  Also see this link for how we
see the corruption issue in Africa:
http://www.j2000usa.org/debt/corruption.html

We need people to contact their Senators in the coming days as Congress
considers whether to approve US contributions toward a plan of debt
reduction -- please urge full US participation as a step toward Jubilee 2000
goals...WITHOUT additional conditions on the relief.  Ask your Senators to
also urge Senator Phil Gramm to stop blocking progress on debt relief.  If
you live in Texas we particularly need you to contact the office of Senator
Phil Gramm!  Contact me for additional info!

in peace & solidarity

David Bryden
Outreach & Communications
Jubilee 2000/USA
202-783-0214
http://www.j2000usa.org

===

Dr Kwesi Owusu has a doctorate in African Economic History from the London
School of Economics and is an associate of the African Studies Centre,
University of Cambridge. He has been involved in campaign issues around
global finance and development for over two decades.

He is also a leading writer on Black British culture and has published four
books on the subject. Currently, Dr. Kwesi Owusu leads Jubilee 2000 UK's
work in Africa, working
with national debt campaigns, NGO's and governments. He edits the magazine
of the Jubilee 2000 Africa Initiative, UHURU.  He was part of the
Jubilee 2000 team to the Okinawa summit of the G7 and the recent UN
Millennium Summit in New York.

Restaurants, Movies, Weather, Traffic & More!
Access Tellme from any phone.  For more info visit:
http://click.egroups.com/1/9534/14/_/192352/_/971306840/

To the extent possible, please keep postings concise. Our archives are at : http://www.egroups.com/group/us-afr-network .  To Post a message, send it to [log in to unmask] .  Tell others to subscribe by sending a blank message to [log in to unmask] .  To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: [log in to unmask]