GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ndey Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 22:07:23 +0200
The issue of FGM has been a very sensitive, delicate issue and women are saying that we have enough of this hypocrisy. We are been mutilated and it is time to say no to it and that is exactly what is happening. I even refused to called it female circumcision because it makes it look nice and neat, it is mutilation.

I had debated on this issue on many occasion but the most horrible of all is my experience at a hospital in UK. I was admitted at the hospital in UK on the maternity ward. A Somali woman was my neighbour her bed next to mine. We became friends and   as Africans this was easy.Her baby was due and shewas just waiting to deliver. In the middle of the night , i will never forget this experience,when this woman was about to diliverthe baby could not come out. This poor baby was forcing her way out but could not because this woman was mutilated and sewed. So, the nurses have to rush her to the Labour Ward. I even quarrelled with one of the nurses who was telling the woman that she should have informed them of it, they could have cut the stitches. I said to her that you cannot talk to her like that when she is in such a pain.  They had to call around, chasing doctors who can perform that kind of surgery but it was getting late. So they have to make a decision to operate the woman if not the baby won't survive.

The poor woman did not want caesarean but did she have any choice?  Did her parents give her any choice? Did society give her any choice? Did tradition give this woman any choice?  I could not sleep for days, I went to work telling my colleagues about this horror and i said to myself this is just the beginning of the fight. Our tradition should protect us and not kill us.

The Struggle Continues!
Ndey Jobarteh