GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
MLJ Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 17:57:14 -0400
Mr. Owens:

I am glad that we have reached a plato in recognizing
our desire for a free and democratic Gambia.  We in
the opposition must acknowledge our crusade, and thus
work in uniting rather than tearing each other apart.
We are in this struggle together, and therefore our
inconsistencies and selfishness will result in                   the dictator furthering his evil ideology.

If the opposition sets up a unity initiative, any
government elected freely by Gambian people must be given
the green light to rule.  It will be disastrous to set
a transition government for 18 months and call for a
special election.  A boycott by the opposition will force
the dictator to eventually oblige to a free and fair
presidential election.  Mounting pressure on the dictator
may even force him to resign so that a transition
government can be set.

The Truth Commission should be set after the dictator's
defeat.  I do not recommend a Reconciliation Commission.
There should not be any reconciliation until those
responsible for evil deeds against The Gambian people
face justice.

In the event that the opposition prevails, laws passed
by the rubber stamp legislature will become null and             void.  The Gambian people will be glad to live freely.           This is why I do not add any sense to the passage of the indemnity law under dictator yahya.  This illegal law            will cease to exist under a democratic government.  After
all, the kaninlai dictator has been the greatest violator
of laws passed by his stooges.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh