GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:03:08 -0000
Matarr,

Thank you for your message. It is good to clarify one thing: that we did not
join any bandwagon. We created an independent platform of our own based on
definite principles, strategies and tactics. This is the reality which will
become evident.

Eventually, when the present dust settles down, I will give a chronological
report on our posture during the period. I will quote newspaper reports
alleging that we were siding with Jawara immediately after the coup because
of our posture. We knew that absolute power corrupts absolutely. We were
trying our best to contain the tendencies towards absolutism when the coup
occurred.

You see, even Jammeh was not in control. Each member of the team who took
over was a head of state of his own. Anyone could say or do anything. There
was total uncertainty. Sabally used to move about with a convoy. It was easy
for drivers to be beaten if they blocked the road.

Despite all this, the euphoria was there. The euphoria escalated when Bakary
Darboe arrived with all the members of the PPP who sided with him and joined
the bandwagon. We took personal risks to challenge the order of the day and
when we did, we were even condemned by the opposition leaders for trying to
create a state of chaos in the country. It was as if they were telling
Jammeh .... crush them. I don't think you people really understand what was
going on here.

When we were arrested, we were dumped at the back of an open police pick-up.
We never took offence because we asked for it. We are always aware of the
degree of suffering we could undergo for our principles and do not harbour
ill-will. Jawara knows that more than anybody else.

We will publish newspaper reports condemning us for a stand taken against
Decree No. 4. Other newspaper reports will show letters indicating that we
were siding with Jawara. Of course, you know that nothing can be more
absurd.

However, we had the strategic objective of demystifying the AFPRC and
contain the trend towards absolutism even if it meant that we found
ourselves imprisoned. This is the truth of the matter. It is the whole truth
and nothing but the truth.

There is also a strategic reason for taking the posture that we took against
Jawara after he started to call for external military intervention. We could
not believe our ears that this man who left this country with all his family
and was comfortably sitting abroad would call for military intervention just
to return to power. The most we expected from him was to acknowledge all the
errors of his government and call on the coup makers to hand power to the
people and support all moves towards the restoration of a democratic and
constitutional order.

When we started to expose Jawara, others began to claim that we were siding
with the AFPRC. The fact of the matter is that we were neither for power
without the consent of the people nor for national disintegration through
armed intervention. We were trying to contain both the AFPRC and Jawara.
This was our line. It was a line which sided with the people and the
ultimate restoration of their authority to decide who is to lead them. We
did everything for this line to triumph. What we could not do was to change
the historical forces which were prevalent at the time and whose exercise of
power determines the quality and degree of the democratic process.

The situation was a very complex one. We have to explain things in great
detail for people to understand the multiple of factors which gave rise to
the adoption of the strategies and tactics we adopted. We never sacrificed a
single principle. We never sided with anybody. We did what our circumstances
required of us  to the best dictates of our conscience and we can prove this
with documentary evidence.

In fact, I was about to give you more information so that you, Jassey  and
Thomas will have greater insight into what the realities were after July
1994. I will be quoting a long letter published by the Daily Observer prior
to the lifting of the ban on political activities just after the referendum.

I hope this will just give you an insight prior to a detailed summation of
the coup period.

Greetings.

Halifa.