GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:55:57 -0400
Folks,
Now that survey results are in I thought we should start looking into
how to address some of the concerns and recommendations.

Two things came out from the responses.
1. there is too much personal attacks and insults.
2. Politicization of every debate.

While some believe that everyone should be allowed to speak their mind
majority expressed concerned over debates turning into personal attacks
and insults. Overwhelming majority of respondents said, postings which
are found personally offending should be removed.

There are those who believed that introduction of submailing lists could
provide members with "a la carte" menu of choices. That way members
choose what they like. In response to that Momodou Camara suggested we
experiment with the idea before introduction. Perhaps we can re-visit
that idea and see what the pros and cons are before committing ourselves.

Personally one of the comments that got my attention was from Mr Momdou
Sidibeh in his response to G-lers talkback. In it he said:

"It appears to me however, that the Management needs to better
coordinate it administrative efforts and device a more rigorous way of
registering subscribers. Since most of us become aware of the list
through other friends, can we not for instance, demand that subscribers
introduce themselves (where they come from, schools they attended,
curent location, and the name of any person that introduced them to the
list)? Nobody walks anonimously into any village "bantabaa" in Gambia
and starts hurling obscenities at those who express opposing views. It
seems to me that this is a small price to pay if we want to maintain
respectability on the "L"."

I find this idea very similar to the one I proposed days before we sent
in the survey. I think we should revisit it and see how best we can
implement it.

Must go now.

Malanding Jaiteh