GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Madiba Saidy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:57:14 -0800
Folks:

I just returned to the office from a lecture presented by Lamin Sanneh,
D. Willis James Professor of Missions and World Christianity / Professor
of History at Yale University (former Professor at Harvard University
for eight years).  It was quite an informative and exciting lecture on the
adequacies and inadequacies of the separation of church and state from
both islamic and western perpectives, islamic fundamentalism, secular
fundamentalism and bridging the divide thro' sustained critical dialogue
about faith, history, values and public policy.

lamin really made me proud as a Gambian, as a Georgetownian in particular
(on my mom's side), where he hails. I was honored to have a brief chat
with him during the discussion/reception session after the talk. He is
(should be) an inspiration to some of us that are just starting our
careers in academia.

By the way, whatever happended to the database of Gambian intellectuals in
the diaspora? I believe it was Ebrima Ceesay that was thinking of compilation.
I think that should be a good resource for the up and comers and the
younger generation to look up to and not the kleptocracy and mediocrity
that prevails back home!

Cheers!

Madiba K. Saidy,
Vancouver, Canada.