GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 12:13:06 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No.  34/2007,   23 – 25 March 2007

Editorial
WHEN WILL THE  REFERENDUM ON THE DEATH PENALTY BE HELD?
Section 18 of the Constitution deals  with the right to life. However, the
courts are empowered to impose capital  punishment or the death penalty after
conviction of a criminal offence for which  the penalty is death.
Section 18 subsection (3) states that “The National  Assembly shall within
ten years from the date of the coming into force of this  constitution review
the desirability or otherwise of the total abolition of the  death penalty in
the Gambia.”
The fact of the matter is that the National  Assembly cannot set aside an
entrenched provision. This can only be done through  a referendum.
Section 43 (1) (a) accords the Independent Electoral Commission  the
responsibility for the conduct and supervision of the registration of voters  for all
public elections and the conduct and supervision of all public elections  and
referenda.
The Attorney General and the National Assembly need to come up  with a bill
which should ultimately give the Gambian people an opportunity to  decide
whether the death penalty should be abolished or not.
Furthermore,  Foroyaa is calling on the Attorney General to give advice to
the President to  activate the Committee on the exercise of the prerogative of
mercy by the  President. There are many prisoners who need to be pardoned to
reduce the state  expenditure and the congestions in our prisons. The government
needs an active  social programme dealing with all areas of National life.
The constitution  needs to be constantly monitored and the institutions and
tasks it calls for  should be put into effect. This is what is meant by the r
ule of law.

IN FARAFENNI ATTACKERS CASE
Lt. Col. Biran Saine  Testifies
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
Lieutenant Colonel Biran Saine, Chief of  Staff of the Gambia National Guard,
on Wednesday, March 21st testified in the  treason trial involving Abdoulie
Sonko and the state. Sonko is alleged to have  taken part in the military
assault on the Farafenni Army Barracks in November  1996.
Appearing before Justice Monageng at the High Court, Lt. Col. Saine  said in
November 1996, he was stationed in Farafenni as Commanding Officer of  the 2nd
Infantry Battalion of the Gambia National Army. He said on November 8th,
1996 about 3am while he was sleeping at the barracks, he heard gun shots. He
added that he noticed automatic firing and he went to the sitting room to call
his commanding officer because he could not walk out as he was not armed. He
said he wanted to make a call, but realised that the telephone handset was not
working. He said he heard someone saying, “stand there he will use the gate
when  he is coming out.”
Lt. Col. Saine said he heard noise coming from their guard  room and a
commercial passenger vehicle (Gele-Gele) was parked closed to the  guard room. He
said he saw a green and yellow taxi coming into the camp, but  spent less time
there. As he raised the curtain of his window, he said, he saw  an unusual
person holding an AK 47 rifle, dressed in a camouflage jacket and  cap, with a red
band tied to his head with charms and a bayonet hung by his  side. According
to Saine, the man called his colleague who drove their L200  Mitsubishi pick
up with registration number GNA 60 to their armoury where one of  the camp
caretakers, Lamin Keita, helped the attackers to load arms and  ammunition into
the pickup and “Gele-Gele.” He added that one of the attackers  who held a
rocket propelled grenade (RPG) told him he was in Sergeant Bayo’s  intake.
Lt. Col. SaIne said from there, they kept on firing inside the camp  while
one of the attackers brought in two soldiers, stripped off their clothes  and
ordered them to lie on the ground. Later on he said, the camp’s second
caretaker, Manlafi Ceesay was also brought in and asked to join his colleague in
in his room, noting the attackers went with one of the soldiers to bring  it.
Testifying further, Saine said he also saw four dead bodies and one  injured
person, but one of the attackers told him that they are only interested  in
Yaya, Singhateh, Touray and Bajo.
He said the soldiers who were asked to  lie down were woken and ordered to
load the anti-aircraft guns which are heavy.  According to him, they broke into
the military hard ware stores and took  uniforms. He said they also entered
the fuel store where they fueled the  “Gele-Gele” vehicle. He narrated that
they ordered him to sit on the back seat  of the pick up, where he also saw their
communication radio, telephone and drums  of light weaponry. Lt. Col. Saine
said one of the attackers told him that they  were in Liberia, and that they
have taken part in Charles Taylor’s “Operation  Octopus,” but told him now they
were on their own.
As they departed from the  camp, the attackers diverted from the main route
and still continued firing all  over the place. Lt. Col. Saine said as they
passed Bao Bolong near Illiasa, the  “Gele-Gele) which was in front stopped, and
the driver signaled them of an  approaching convoy of military vehicles. Saine
said they both alighted and one  of them asked him to follow him. He said the
guy told his colleagues that the  soldiers are trying to encircle them. A
while later, he said, he knew they were  confused and he then signalled the young
apprentice from the Gele Gele to come  behind him while the driver was
running away.
He told the court that one of  the men opened fire at the soldiers who also
returned fire. Eventually he and  the apprentice ran towards the Bao Bolong
avoiding the cross fire. Lt. Col.  Saine also said that he later met some of the
soldiers and they returned to  Farafenni.
At the camp, he said, he met Lt. Colonel Peter Singhateh (then a  Captain)
who told him that they were off loading the weaponry and a folder  containing
the plan of the attack.
One of the attackers he said was found by  the villagers and later brought to
the camp and then to the NIA office in  Banjul. He said few days later, he
went to the NIA and found one of the  attackers with a fractured foot in plaster
of paris (POP). Lt. Col. Saine said  he saw photographs at the NIA belonging
to one of the attackers. One of them he  said cried, saying that the children
in one of the pictures were his and are all  in Liberia. The matter was
adjourned for the photographs to be tendered as  evidence.
The accused person is being represented by Mai Fatty and the  prosecutor is
A.S Umar.
INDEPENDENT WITNESS APPEARS IN TREASON TRIAL
By  Bubacarr K. Sowe
Tijan Bojang, who served as an independent witness during  the obtaining of
statements from the suspects of the March 2006 alleged coup  plot, on Wednesday
testified in the treason trial involving the suspects and the  state.
Testifying before Justice Avril Anin Yeboah, Bojang said on March  25th,
2006, while at home he had a call from his friend, Lamin Cham, a police
detective, who urged him to serve as an independent witness.
He told the  court that he agreed and went to the National Intelligence
Agency (NIA)  Headquarters where, Cham was. After few minutes at the NIA gate,
Bojang said,  Cham came to collect him. He said he found Tamsir Jasseh, the 5th
accused person  and two police officers, Boto Keita and Abdoulie Sowe.
Bojang said after he  was introduced to Tamsir Jasseh, Jasseh was asked
whether he (Bojang) could be  an independent witness and Jasseh agreed.
Bojang also said Cham cautioned  Jasseh that he is not force to say anything,
but anything he said will be  recorded and it will be used as evidence. He
said Jasseh agreed to that and  signed on the cautionary statement and he also
signed. From there, Bojang added  that Jasseh wrote his voluntary statement,
and was asked by Cham whether he  wanted to add anything, but Jasseh said no.

JUSTICE AGIM CAUTIONS  ALLEGED TREASON SUSPECTS
By Fabakary B. Ceesay &  Annia  Gaye
Defense Counsel Lamin S. Camara has told the court martial that the  accused
persons are yet to receive their confiscated items. He said the items  were
seized last year and had not yet been returned to them.
Camara reminded  the court that, since last year the accused persons’ family
members have no  access to their personal belongings which was seized from
them. He said most of  these people were arrested at their homes and offices, and
that their personal  items were confiscated and had not been returned to
their family members. Camara  indicated that the properties included mobile
phones, wrist watches, brief cases  and monies. Camara said the accused persons know
the people who took them from  them. He asserted that he had on two occasions
spoken to the prosecution about  the missing properties, but still nothing
had been done about them. Justice Agim  said the court will make enquires from
the state authorities in a bid to find  out whether they have those items or
not. Agim warned the accused persons that  if they know that their items are not
with the state investigators, they should  not make such allegations. He told
them that their counsels were depending on  what they (the accused) told
them. But counsel Camara replied that the matter is  not whether the state
authorities have the items or not. “My lord they are  having them,” he emphasised.
Camara added that he will file a motion for the  state to produce the items.
Earlier on, counsel Camara had told the court that  he was yet to file his
written address to the court because the prosecution had  not served him it’s
address on time. He said due to the lengthy nature of the  prosecution’s written
address, he needed more time to go over it. Application  for the defense to file
their address to the court by the next sitting was  granted. The case was
heard at Yundum Barracks on Thursday 22nd March  2007.

LETTER TO NADD EXECUTIVE BY EX-FLAG BEARER, HALIFA  SALLAH
Allow me now to focus on the various forces at work during the 2007  National
Assembly elections.
The scene at the Borehole on the eve of the  25th January 2007 polls is
instructive. This is one development which confirms  that the Gambia is in urgent
need of a democratic revolution. Without this  democratic transformation of our
culture, people and nation, we shall have our  back turned at the 21st
century and would steadily march towards the era of the  “Mansas,” or Kings of
bygone years. What do I mean to be precise?
Just before  midnight, over twenty women assembled at the Borehole. They
crawled on the sand  like toddlers building sand mounds. After each sand mound,
they would chorus  some chants and then place a tree branch in the middle. They
did this for over  100 meters towards the Borehole bridge. Once they completed
this phase of their  ceremony, they came back to where our drivers parked
their transports. This is  when the most disgraceful part of the ceremony
started. These elderly women said  something and then exposed their buttocks in
unison. This was done several  times.
Compatriots, what type of thinking is in the minds of these women?  Common
sense teaches us that those who plant stones cannot reap groundnuts. It  is
equally evident that no cashier dares to face a judge and then claim that the
fraud he/she is accused of emanated from the disappearance of money from the
safe because of the handiwork of a magician. Despite this elementary truth,
these women believed that by their sand mounds, incantations and exposure of
their buttocks they can make me to lose an election. All of us pay lip service  to
the notion that human beings are embodiment of dignity, worth and conscience;
 that democracy entails the possession of political will by each member of
society which is expressed in equal measure to determine popular representation
 on the basis of consent. Where in lies the dignity, worth and conscience of
a  woman who crawls on the ground and expose her private parts with the
mistaken  notion that she is to influencing others to do what she wants against
their  will?
Our primary task, therefore, is to combat this stultifying notion that
people can be made to win or lose elections through magical interventions. In  the
struggle against harmful traditional practices, we should add the struggle
against shameful and undemocratic traditional practices. This is a fundamental
task of the democratic revolution. We must ensure that people own their minds
and are resolved in exercising their will without fear or favour, affection
or  ill will to chart their own destiny.
Suffice it to say, I must bring to your  notice that I utilized all wisdom
that I could command to combat this culture of  mystification of the voting
system.
I emphasised that those who claim that  the leaders of the APRC regime have a
divine right to rule are undermining the  very foundation of democracy. I
explained that democracy is about choice; that a  country that is destined to
guarantee liberty and prosperity to her citizenry  must have a party in
government and those in the opposition who are competing to  outdo each other in
providing enlightened leadership to the people. I indicated  that there can be no
choice without an alternative. It was made abundantly clear  that a farmer who
is given responsibility to separate good from rotten seeds  would do his/her
children great injustice if he were to plant the bad ones and  then go to the
mosque or church to pray to reap a bumper harvest.
I  buttressed this point by telling the voters that the National Assembly
member is  a seed, that they should be very selective in the exercise of their
discretion  to elect their leaders; that they should be ready to accept
responsibility for  any hardship or deficit in liberty and prosperity if they select
leaders that  cannot address their needs and aspirations.
I quoted many verses from  religious books to confirm that those who turn
their back at truth when they see  it are misrepresenting their facts; that only
the truth can set people free  irrespective of religious affiliation or
philosophical orientation. I emphasised  that the role of a religious leader is to
counsel ones congregation to listen to  what all the candidates had to say and
pursue the truth. This is the way they  can contribute to the raising of the
awareness of the people. I explained that  the religious leader is commanded to
counsel one’s followers to do good and  forgo evil deeds; that one cannot
demonstrate faith in one’s conviction if one  does not exercise free will in
choosing to do good and to shun evil. In the same  vein, democracy dictates that
the sovereign person must makes a distinction  between good governance and bad
governance then make a choice of leader based on  the type of ideas they
promote.
I must further admit that the group that  proved to be most unpredictable in
the whole electoral equation are the youths.  Special efforts were made to
engage them. Cassettes of speeches I gave in  Manchester, Father Farrell Hall and
the Gambia College were circulated to vans  or youth clubs. The excitement
displayed by them was exceptional. This  distribution of cassettes was linked to
grass root meetings in strategic  compounds. People in the neighbourhoods
attended such meetings which gave us  visibility and closeness to the electorate.
This enabled me to deliver messages  on a one to one basis. Young people
followed our campaign team and extended  invitation for special visits to raise
awareness.
One may now ask: What  changed the mentality of the youths and shift made
them either to support the  other candidates or abstained from voting in the
elections?
The lesson became  clear when a group of youths came to me to indicate that
youth leaders were  being infiltrated and promised the heaven and the earth.
They explained that  many young people have been asked to register their teams
to become a part of a  football tournament. They asked me to organise a
football tournament of our own  to counter the scheme of my opponents, organize
musical programmes, provide food  and green tea, occupy the youths for the whole
campaign period and provide  “Asobi” to the girls.
It was becoming increasingly clear to me that many of  the young people were
beginning to be moved by short term material and social  benefits. I had the
option of maintaining my hearing and nurture democratic  minds so that they can
make informed decisions or sink into the world of those  who bargain votes
for money or services. Even though, I had organised football  tournaments before
and had given countless number of football jerseys and other  gears to the
youth in the past. I was not ready to yield to the proposal that  was a
conditionality.
I had the option of becoming a National Assembly member  based on the free
expression of will by the electorate or bribe my way to a seat  in parliament.
I began to utilize the story of the frog and the bird to drive  my message to
the young people to caution them of the danger of selling  themselves into
bondage for a poultry price. I told the young people in no  uncertain terms that
the only slave who deserves to be one is the person who has  the free will to
choose to live in liberty and prosperity or slavery and poverty  and decides
to accept to live in slavery and poverty for a petty price. I told  them that
I do not even want the vote of a youth who does not value his/her  sovereign
power. That such a youth cannot defend the sovereignty of the country  and the
continent and promote the liberty, dignity and prosperity of the  people.
History has therefore placed in out hands a fundamental task that  must be
performed if we are to build a democratic society where people are  indeed in
charge of their destiny. We must engage the youth of the country and  make them
think like owners of a country instead of behaving like beasts of  burden who
live in misery from the cradle to the grave. In order to achieve this  goal
they must be able to distinguish political functions from social  functions.
To be continued

171 GRADUANDS AT UTG 3RD CONVOCATION CEREMONY
By  Isatou Bittaye
The University of the Gambia on Saturday, 17 March, 2007 held  its 3rd
convocation ceremony at the Independence Stadium in Bakau. The  University
registered 171 graduands this year, and these include 11 medical  doctors. The total
number of graduands of the University of the Gambia since its  inception in 1999
stands at 473. The ceremony was attended by the  Vice-Chancellor of the
University of Sierra Leone, guests from Canada, Professor  Lingras and Mrs. Heidi
Taylor, both from St. Mary’s University in Halifax.
In  delivering his address, the Vice-Chancellor of the UTG, Professor Andreas
Ludvig  Steigen indicated that the class of 2005 is good according to the
response they  get from employers. Professor Steigen urged the graduands to be
honest. He  indicated that the abilities and astuteness they (the graduands)
developed  through university education and university life should help them meet
new  challenges and enable them apply a flexible approach to knowledge
generation and  diffusion. Professor Steigen further said the education should
provides them  with knowledge and skills much needed in The Gambia, and urged the
graduands to  take responsibilities bestowed upon them by their superiors
seriously. He added  that the graduands must be firm and flexible in their work and
never misuse  their power, noting that it is not only important to be morally
strong, but one  must also win trust. He indicated that mistakes are bound to
be made by  everybody, but that those who do not make mistakes are doing very
little at all.  Proffessor Steigen indicated that UTG in collaboration with
the Department of  State for Education have started “access classes” for girls
covering five senior  secondary school subjects. He added that the WASSCE
results of 2006 showed that  less than 8% of the candidates are qualified to
enter UTG and only 20% of the  students are women; that in the department of
medicine 42% are females.  Professor Steigen noted that UTG is an undergraduate
University conferring  bachelor’s degrees, but that it is working to develop
Master’s programmes soon.  Professor Steigen indicated that through the
establishment of the new Department  of State for Higher Education, Research, Science
and Technology, UTG will get  new opportunities to strengthen tertiary
education, research, science and  technology.
On his part, the Secretary of State for Higher Education,  Research, Sciences
and Technology, Mr Crispin Grey-Johnson said that  agriculture, fisheries,
service sector, IT, trade and industry, including the  petroleum and gas
industry are all projected to grow exponentially in the years  ahead. Crispin
Grey-Johnson further said that if an engineer is trained, one  would need to train
four technicians and ten skilled workers to enable that  engineer perform
effectively. SoS Johnson added that for each doctor trained,  eight para-medical
personnel including technicians and nurses would also have to  be trained. Hon.
Grey Johnson indicated that since the priority for the  education sector now
extends to the university level, Government shall in no way  neglect training at
lower levels. He said the National Training Authority will  be further
strengthened and fully empowered to ensure that it fulfills the  entire objective
for which it was created.
The Secretary of State noted that  re-positioning higher education for the
transformation of this nation calls for  a shift of emphasis in favour of
Mathematics, the sciences and technology. SoS  Johnson said that at present,
government scholarship policy is biased in favour  of Mathematics and of scientific
and technological disciplines. He added that  the effectiveness of teaching and
learning at a higher level depends on how well  students were prepared at the
lower level, noting that government will assign  special priority to the
preparation of teachers for basic and secondary  education institutions. Hon.
Grey-Johnson indicated that the quality of teacher  education and training shall
be strengthened and elevated to the highest  standards inorder to prepare
children for higher quality study and research at  the University and other
tertiary institutions.
In his valedictory address,  Mr. Marvin J. Gomez, the valedictorian of the
class of 2006 said that “Many are  called but few are chosen.” He said the few
that are chosen should never say  “Never again.” as the road to success is
fraught with difficulties. Mr. Gomez  added that “the road to success is not too
far because at the end of all the  struggles you will reap the fruit of your
labour.” The valedictorian indicated  that a residential campus will cut down
costs of transportation and accord the  students a friendlier atmosphere for
learning. He appealed to all stakeholders  to come on board to support the
noble cause. He said that Gambians must now wake  up to the reality that the
university is a credible tuition provider and must be  duly respected.
Mr. Gomez indicated that now academic qualification may not  be the only
prerequisite for appointments, promotions and financial  compensation. He said
many of his colleagues especially in the civil service,  had complained about
their lack of promotion many years after graduating from  the UTG. He appealed to
the Public Service Commission to give this issue the  attention it deserves
inorder to stave off the brain drain that is often  experienced in Third-World
Countries.
Mr. Gomez challenged that all Gambians,  both at home and abroad, to put all
hands on deck in the attempt to cross the  divide and establish dialogue,
understanding and mutual respect. Gomez noted  that if we are ever to build a
World Community characterized by peace, justice  and the fulfillment of basic
human needs, we must find ways of living with  diversity and learn from each
other. He urged his fellow graduands to serve  humanity and be true to all its
values.

KANILAI FARM ALLEGED THEFT  CASE
WITNESS TESTIFIES
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
The second prosecution  witness, Wulinding Sanneh, has testified in the
ongoing criminal case involving  the state and Bala Nyassi, a driver of the Kanilai
Family Farm. Testifying  before Magistrate Harry Jammeh of the Kanilai
Magistrate Court on Tuesday, Mr.  Sanneh told the court that he knew the accused
person, Bala Nyassi, noting that  he was the one who brought him to the farm as a
driver. Sanneh said Nyassi has a  truck driver and that he used to take goods
to Senegal and Guinea Bissau. He  said Nyassi used to report to him any time
he came from his mission abroad. He  said on one occasion, Nyassi told him
that he had an accident and that the truck  fell down. He said on the second
occasion, Mr. Nyassi told him that he was  attacked by rebels between Senegal and
Guinea Bissau and that the rebels took  the money from him. Mr. Sanneh said
that he also reported the matter to his boss  one Abdoulie Kujabi. Sanneh added
that he does not know the amount that Nyassi  was supposed to bring from
Bissau. Going further, Sanneh indicated that he was  arrested at the same time
Nyassi was arrested. He said he made a statement at  the Serious Crime Unit at the
Police Headquarters in Banjul. Mr. Sanneh said  that he might not be able to
recognise the statement because he is an  illiterate, but said that he had his
thumb print on the statement. The  prosecution wanted to tender the
statement, and the defendant tried to object to  it by saying “I am objecting to all
that the witness said before the court,” his  objection was overruled and the
said statement was tendered as exhibit A.
During cross examination, Mr. Nyassi put it to Mr. Sanneh that he never told
him that he was attacked by rebels who took the money from him. Mr. Sanneh
maintained that, Mr. Nyassi had told him that. “I am putting it to you that
when  I returned from Guinea Bissau,” Nyassi said, “I gave you 40,000 CFA.”
Sanneh  replied, “that was not correct.” “I’m putting it to you that any time I
returned  from Bissau with CFA, you are the one who escorted me to the money
changers,”  said Nyassi. Sanneh replied in the negative. Bala Nyassi, a driver
of the  Kanilai Family Farm, is standing trial for allegedly stealing D20, 000
being an  employee of the said farm. He pleaded not guilty to the charge.
Representing the  IGP was First Class 1748 Mballow.

WIFE CHARGED WITH HUSBAND’S  MURDER
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
Tabara Samba, the wife of the late Ebrima  Nian was arraigned before the
Kanifing Magistrate Court on Wednesday for  allegedly killing her husband by
pouring hot oil on him.
According to the  statement of the offence, she is charged with murder
contrary to section 187 of  the Criminal Code. The particulars of the offence
indicated that Tabara Samba  murdered one Ebrima Nian at Old Jeshwang on the 17th
March 2007 by pouring hot  oil on him. She pleaded not guilty to the charge that
is preferred against  her.
The defendant’s counsel, Modou Drammeh told the court that his client  did
not have access to him. Counsel Drammeh asked the court for a stand down to
enable him to talk to his client. The Police prosecutor 453 Sergeant Touray did
not object to the application. The application was granted. Sergeant Touray
later asked for an adjournment. Magistrate Jammeh later remanded the accused in
 custody at the State Central Prison.

AFRICA TO HAVE AN INVESTMENT  BANK
By Amie Sanneh
The Gambia Government has welcomed the establishment  of the Africa Finance
Corporation (AFC), a private sector led profit oriented  African bank, states
the Governor of the Central Bank of the  Gambia.
According to Governor Famara Jatta, the AFC is meant to scale up  funding of
infrastructural projects in Africa.
Governor Jatta was speaking at  the investors’ forum of the African Finance
Corporation on Thursday at the  Kairaba Beach Hotel. Through the Central Bank
of Nigeria, the Federal Government  of Nigeria is promoting the establishment
of the AFC.
Governor Jatta said  Africa has the world’s least developed financial sector.
“Institutional coverage  is limited and even the banking industry, the
dominant sub-sector, is small and  has a comparative advantage in providing short
term credit,” he added.
The  Central Bank Governor also added that Africa is the only continent that
has  grown poorer in the past 25 years. Africa he maintained, also lagged
behind  other regions in terms of economic growth and competitiveness.
In 2005 he  said Africa received less than 1.0 percent of foreign direct
investment.
Mr.  Jatta remarked that the challenge for Africa is to achieve higher and
sustainable growth, reduce poverty and attain the Millennium Development  Goals.
This he noted can only be feasible if prudent macro economic policies  and
structural reforms are implemented and strong financial institutions  built.
Mr. Jatta however opined that the establishment of the AFC is coming  at a
time of optimism about growth prospects and development in Africa.
He  expressed optimism that AFC will help Africa to address its challenges in
 financial investment.
Also speaking at the forum, the Governor of the Central  Bank of Nigeria
Chukwuma C. Soludo opined that Africa missed the last century,  but noted that the
21st Century is going to be Africa’s century.
Commenting  on the new investment Bank, Governor Soludo revealed that AFC
wants to raise one  billion US dollars to start operation before the end of April.
He noted that  the focus of AFC would include funding private sector led
projects and the  development of infrastructure across Africa.
Mr. Soludo mentioned that AFC  has an authorized share capital of two billion
ordinary shares of US$1 each.
He said to start with, AFC wants 51% shareholding from the private  sector.
The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) said AFC would be  owned by
financial institutions in Africa.
He pointed out that CBN is  committed to invest up to US$490 million, subject
to total public sector  investments not exceeding 49%.
He added that the emphasis of the AFC will be  private sector led, noting
that its mission statement is to be the leading  investment bank.
Governor Soludo said the headquarters of the AFC will be  located in Nigeria
and branches too will be in other member state countries in  Africa.

FOCUS ON POLITICS
GAMBIA FROM A DEFACTO ONE PARTY
TO  A MULTI PARTY DEMOCRACY
With Suwaibou Touray
Continuation
By 1975, many  countries were undergoing military coups d’etat on the
continent of Africa.  Military regimes changed hands in places like Nigeria. Places
like Uganda and  Zaire were experiencing brutal military dictatorships. Many
countries were  really one party states and even others could be described as
Autocracies such  as Malawi under Banda etc.
In The Gambia one could say there was in 1975, an  official opposition in
parliament which was neither active inside nor active  outside. The united party
was led by Mr. Pierre Njie who because of his refusal  to attend parliament
lost his seat when the parliament enacted a law against  absenteeism, eventually
depriving him of his seat.
Now that a younger, more  ambitious former minister, Mr. Sheriff M. Dibba
split with the PPP, established  his party to challenge the very party he had not
only nurtured for more than a  decade but claimed also to have been a
founding member, one would have expected  him to unravel not only the secrets but
also to demystify and counter PPP’s  tactics.
Now that the contest was between two outstanding personalities, one  a
president of the
Republic, the other a young politician admired by the  youths for his
eloquence, his immaculate garbing, and his manifested interest in  the welfare of the
people, there was hope that the struggle when unfolded would  not only result
to the watering down of the underlying ethnic tone in Gambian  politics but
also yield a decent multi-party environment that could portray the  Gambia to
be a democracy worthy of emulation by not only African countries but  even
beyond the African continent. Expectations were high indeed.
Two things  were at stake for both men at this stage; 1) Mr. Jawara was of
the view that  since many parties or personalities split from the PPP and formed
their own  parties and many more left their original parties only to join
him, he could  believe that it was only a matter of time for Mr. Dibba to
capitulate and also  follow suit.
This was why at one rally, he and his followers propagated  and/or defined
the NCP symbol “White” to be synonymous with  “Capitulation.”
On the other hand, if Mr. Dibba refused capitulation and went  ahead with his
platform, then Jawara’s tactics was to portray himself to be an  accommodator
of all ethnic groups as well as be seen to be championing the  “Peace” and
democracy course which he believed would be appealing to the  populace, thereby
portraying Mr. Dibba as a disgruntled element.
Mr. Dibba on  the other hand saw the need to have integrity and must not
allow any of Jawara’s  allegations to be believed by the people. This must have
been why he had to  strongly refute any negative assault made by Sir Dawda on
his integrity but also  went to show how absurd it was for a president to
dismiss a cabinet minister on  mere circulating rumours.
When it became absolutely clear to Mr. Dibba that  Sir Dawda would not
re-instate him but was infact touring the country and making  more and more negative
allegations against him, it dawned on him to come out  quickly and inform
sympathisers of his intention to establish a party. This was  in many people’s
opinion at the time why the NCP came into being. It is also  clear that the NCP
had no ideological differences with the PPP and that was why  the impending
fight in 1977 was fought not on ideological principles but on  personality lines.
Mr. Dibba’s campaign commenced in Busumbala on the 7th  September1975. It was
an old belief held by many people that as one of the  oldest villages in
Kombo if not the oldest, anyone who starts or launches his  party with the
objective of becoming a king, that person was sure to attain his  objective.
According to newspaper reports, thousands of sympathisers and curious  onlookers
turned out to hear what Dibba and his new party had to say. Mr. Dibba  again
clarified that he was unaware of the smuggling scandal which former  President
Jawara accepted but asked him to resign which he did from the Vice  President’s
position in order to set peace and stability in the country. He  refuted Jawara’s
allegation of tribalism and sectionalism as untrue and his  (Jawara’s) claim
that he wanted to overthrow his government as baseless.
Mr.  Dibba then commenced the tour of the country starting with the Kombos,
Bakau,  Brufut, Sabiji, Serrekunda, Banjul, Brikama etc. Many people who
claimed to be  PPP sympathisers or even militants changed allegiance such as one
Danso Touray  of Gunjur, Pa Harley Jammeh of Sukuta and intellectuals such as Mr.
Bakary  Darboe also joined the ranks.
As he moved steadily into the Fonis, the  militants of the PPP renewed their
unlawful culture of forced interruption of  opposition meetings. At Somita,
the PPP militants who had no permit at all and  who did not even notify the
Police planned to disrupt the NCP rally by  organising music (Jazz show) opposite
the rally grounds. People like Mr. Filijay  Nyassi and Mr. Jobarteh Manneh
informed the Police after being confronted by  them that they belonged to the PPP
which is ruling the country and has the power  and that no person has the
right to interfere with their activities. According  to The Gambia outlook, a
heated argument ensued which resulted to a fight  between the Police and the men
prompting the Police to call for  reinforcement.
Throughout 1976, Mr. Dibba and the NCP continued their tour of  the country
organizing the people. News spread that some chiefs in the provinces  were
warned not to allow the NCP infiltrate their chieftaincy districts  otherwise it
could result to their being taught with what they called “drastic  lessons”.
The U.P supporters in the provinces who saw their party to be  ineffective or
inactive began to join the NCP ranks even before any formal  arrangement was
done between them. Some diehard U.P militants were said to have  rejected Dibba
initially in places like Sutukoba for the fact that Dibba was so  hard on
Sheriff Sisay when the latter fell out with Jawara but eventually  accepted him
with a view to undermining the PPP’s domination of the political  scene.
As the struggle unfolded, Dibba’s maneuvering could not be taken  lightly.
Jawara had to play some tactics. This was why in a rally at Tallinding,  Sir
Dawda was loudly heard saying that he was half PPP and half U.P; that the  NCP
would eventually capitulate like its predecessors before it. This must have
compelled Mr. Pierre Njie, U.P Leader to hold a rally and dissociated himself
from Sir Dawda completely to give focus to his supporters. In his rally at Sam
Jack Terrace, he openly indicated his party’s desire to team up with the NCP
to  contest the forthcoming General elections scheduled for 1977. According to
the  editorial of The Gambia Outlook, no one could have envisaged the
formation, let  alone the survival of a new political party at the time. The official
opposition  party was slowly disintegrating. The ruling party, has spread its
tentacles  around the whole country confidently widening its horizons and
drawing the  people to its common fold. It has been noticed that the
impregnability of the  PPP could no longer withstand the regular and constant bombardments
of the NCP,  observed The Gambia Outlook.

18 YEAR OLD APPEALS FOR MEDICAL  ASSISTANCE
By Bubacarr K. Sowe and Yaya Dampha
Lamin Manjang, an 18 year  old student at Masroor Senior Secondary School is
seeking medical assistance to  undergo a cardiac surgery.
According to a report issued to Lamin, he is  diagnosed with rheumatic
valvular heart disease. It said that he is suffering  from an enlarged heart and an
abnormal valve. The report also said that he  remains adequately controlled by
monthly Bentathine Penicillin injections. It  also shows that Lamin’s current
weight is 39.3 kilogrammes and he will need  cardiac surgery in the future.
His exercise of tolerance is reduced. You can get  in touch with Lamin or his
dad Kebba on 7825624/4393177.

Trouble  for Guinea as Scorpions’ Camp Trims
By Modou Nyang
The Scorpions’ camp  ahead of Saturday’s Nations Cup qualifier is atop as
the remaining stars from  around Europe, arrived the country to join the rest.
The team had a full  session with twenty two players offering the technical
team a good look at the  condition and level of fitness of the players.
Team Captain Jatto Ceesay  arrived from his base in Cyprus on Wednesday
evening and Seyfo Soley of English  Championship side, Preston North End, also
joined camp the same day. Ebou Sillah  who was expected also expected on the same
day, didn’t make it to camp as we go  to press. All the players took part in
both the morning and evening sessions at  the main bowl of the Independence
Stadium, except Simon Badjie who will not join  the team due to reported club
commitments.
Earlier on [on Wednesday] coach  of the National team, Alagie Sarr, rued the
late arrival of the players calling  on whoever is responsible to avoid the
occurring of a similar situation in the  future. Sarr argued that he could not
have enough players to train with,  lamenting that the opposition Guinean team
is all ready set to land in the  country whilst some of the his boys are yet
to join camp. “Whether it is the FA  or the players, who ever is responsible
should avoid it in the future” Sarr  stated.

Warning!! Fitness and Determination or Out
Coach Alagie  Sarr
By Modou Nyang
Scorpions’ step-in coach Alagie Sarr would not be  swayed by star names when
it comes to selecting his final squad to face Guinea  on Saturday.
The senior National team emergency caretaker manager said his  only loyalty
in selecting the team against the Cyli Nationale, is the  performance and level
of fitness which will be assed during training and the  will to sacrifice for
the country.
Sarr said: “we will ascertain the level  of their fitness [players]
individually to determine who will make the team,  “[Because] we do not know whether
they were playing for their clubs or not. “We  will only go those who are ready
to deliver for the Nation, the interest of the  country and not someone else’
s, is what we are going to safe guard”.
The  Scorpions has since started training on Monday with the arrival of the
first  batch of foreign based players on Sunday who joined the home based ones
to  prepare for the crunch Ghana 2008, Nations Cup qualifier. With the
storming of  camp of the troops, the recently reassigned gaffer for the Scorpions is
not in  the affair of allowing big names to influence his team selection.
And Sarr  is not bothered by his emergency appointment to guide the Scorpions
to glory  after erstwhile Germen coach, Antoine Hey, went awol. He added: “I
know [most  of] the players in the team I was with the national team since
1997. “I served  as assistant to Alagie Sarr and Sang Ndong, who handled the team
during that  time. “It is the same [crop of] players the only new one among
them is Njogu  Demba, [so] we will not have any problem of selecting the team. “
The basis will  be for those who are ready to deliver for the country”.

U-20 in  South Korea Opener Today
By Modou Nyang
The National Under -20 team will  today take on South Korea in the opening
fixture of the Suwon International  football festival holding in South Korea.
Coach Bonu Johnson’s boys are one  of three other youth teams invited to
participate in this year’s competition.  Chile and Poland are the other countries
in the competition they will all join  the host, South Korea, in a round
robbing series.
According to Namory  Trawally who is representing the Gambian media in the
completion, the team is  upbeat on their chances of clinching the top prize at
stake at the competition.
Namory added that coach Bonu Johnson said that his team is prepared for  today
’s game, noting that they will be out to collect all three points which
would impact positively for the Gambia, in the tournament. “We are preparing
match after march and would not take any game easy,” said Bonu.
The Young  Scorpions’ match will kickoff at 7:30 am local time at 15:00pm
Korean time. The  other fixture of the day will feature South American side Chile
and European rep  Poland at 19:00pm Korean time. The Gambia will play their
second match against  on Sunday against Chile at 15:00pm Korean time. They will
then take on European  side, Poland on Tuesday. The team with the highest
number of points will win the  competition.
Courtesy of Namory Trawally, President, Gambia Sport Journalist  Association.

Ghanaian Ref for Saturday Qualifier
By Modou  Nyang
Alex Kotey will be the match official during the Scorpions game against  the
Cyli Nationale of Guinea, on Saturday, at the independence Stadium in  Bakau.
Kotey, will be assisted by Ayuba Haruna and Kojo George Saijah all  Ghanaian
nationals. The fourth official will be Gambian national, Sulayman  Touray and
the match commissioner is Babacar Fall, a Mauritanian.
Alex Kotey,  officiated the Gambia’s African Youth Championship game against
the Flying  Eagles of Nigeria. The match ended 1-0 in favour of the Nigerians.
On the  other hand, Gambian top referee, Modou Sowe will lead Lamin Camara
and Musa  Jawara all Gambians to officiate the qualifying game between
Democratic Republic  of Congo and Ethiopia, in the DR Congo Capital, Kinshasa.
Meanwhile, the  Scorpions opponents Guinea have landed into the country
yesterday evening and  are lodging at the Sarge’s, former Tafbel Maisonettes.

GFA Division  1 League Round-Up
By Musa Barrow and Madiba Singhateh
Gamtel Football Club  on Wednesday put behind their poor start to the league
by edging past Armed  Forces in a 2-1 encounter, at the Serrekunda West
grounds. Armed forces  dominated proceedings in the first half and went on to take
the lead just five  minutes into the first half, through James Jersey. They
continued to dictate  proceeding throughout the first half and missed a series of
chances in their  attempts to double the score line. Coach Alagie Sillah made
some substitutions  in the second half and Gamtel scored two second goals to
overturn the results as  the fortunes of the game turned. Three minutes into
the period, Karamo Fatty  leveled terms when the Armed Forces defence failed to
clear properly from inside  the area. As the time ticks away, Gamtel scored
the winner through Amadou  Jallow, to seal all three points.
Wallidan took all three points in their  clash against Real de Banjul, at the
Banjul grounds on Wednesday. The Banjul  derby witnessed fierce battles but
the Pa Modou’s lone effort in the 12th minute  of the first half, proved the
difference.
In yesterday’s matches between Sait  Matty and Bakau United at Serrekunda
West, Sait Matty got the better of the day  by winning 2-1. Lamin Sanneh and
Saikou Badjie scored for Sait Matty in the 5th  and 86th minutes whilst Buba
Bojang, registered for Bakau United in the 14th  minute. Seaview also won GPA by a
goal to nil at the Serrekunda East grounds.  The match between Hawks and Steve
Biko did not proceed due to Hawk’s late  arrival from Nigeria.