GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 15:16:11 EDT
In a message dated 16/06/00 19:48:41 GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< Diagnostics studies of most of the African economies have been conducted.
 In fact the patient has been over-diagnosed, in my view.  The problems are
 well known.  They have been the subjects of several conferences, CG
 meetings etc. These problems include some that Mr. Rubin consider
 simplistic which, to me, are central i.e. Africa’s colonial past (Zimbabwe,
 SA), Cold War rivalries (DRC, Egypt), foreign debt (Uganda, Burkina Faso),
 harsh demands for economic reforms by the international lending agencies
 (Gambia, Ghana, Zambia) and civil wars (Liberia, Somalia). I say to all,
 let’s get on with it.  Solutions should emanate from us Africans. The likes
 of Mr. Ruben should not distract us from our efforts to find solutions to
 our own problems. >>
Sidi,
    What a cogent and poignant way to end a beautiful piece. Indeed the
"patient has been over-diagnosed" and the prescriptions abound. What
wiseacres! You have made my day! I look forward to that Report and your
consequent analysis. Keep those positive stuff coming. The optimism of our
will most certainly needs the positivity to be able to carry on through each
day. Again my heartfelt thanks.
Hamjiii << Copyright Control: Edi Sidibeh >>

hkanteh