GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2007 11:21:08 EDT
Suntou,

I was busy enjoying the Deutche Bank Open when I saw your notes. I will try
to share some ideas see if I could help allay your concerns. I am pleased to
see  Davis Love III again after a rather long hiatus. The Deutche Bank open in
Norton  Mass. is one in a series of playoff matches toward the fedex cup. I
think the  next stops are in Chicago and Atlanta. Tiger, Veej, and Lefty have
been paired  yesterday and today. Makes for exhilarating golf.

Anyhow, if golf is not your fancy,

You had shared your resignation with gambians when it comes to politics and
gambia. I hasten to add that perhaps you misunderstand gambians and their
various politics. When I read you, I understood you to want gambians to share
your own understanding of politics and when that did not happen, you concluded
they (gambians) misunderstand politics and Gambia. Let us consider more
specific  items:

You met very educated and sober gambians and you shared that when  discussion
went the way of politics, you understood that pdois/nadd is not the
alternative to aprc. That statement may be very confusing to begin with. Do  you
understand pdois to be a synonym for nadd? I think pdois will be the first  to
share that they are not nadd unless of course you mean differently when you  say
nadd and NADD. Do you suppose the gambians shared that pdois is not a  better
alternative to aprc and not pdois/nadd? If they should say that both  pdois and
or nadd are not good alternatives, that should not concern you.  If you're
interested, I would make pdois/nadd the alternative that the  gambians desire.

From this you concluded that the majority of (the gambians)  misunderstand
the ideas of pdois. If I was told that pdois was synonymous with  nadd, I would
be confused too. And if pdois were separated from nadd, I would  agree with
the gambians you met that pdois is not a desirable alternative to  aprc. Forgive
me.

You asked if the pdois executive is aware of this misunderstanding. The
pdois executive do not regard there is a misunderstanding. They are concerned
however in making pdois a more accepted party among gambians and they are
working hard as they always have done to make it so. They recognize their
shortcomings but they are also aware of their values and one thing they cannot  alter
is the raison d'etre of pdois distilled in the manifesto. You charged that  the
gambians accused pdois of being anti-religious. Nothing could be farther
from the truth. This is a lie and I do not think any sane person would accuse
pdois of such. I don't believe the gambians you spoke with accused pdois of
being anti-religious. This is not a matter of opinion, it is a statement whose
veracity can be established. And you shared that the gambians are not
illiterate. You also shared that they believed pdois to be a communist party.  Now
this one is a matter of opinion and perception. I happen to think pdois is a
communist party also. Forgive me.

Then you said you tried to explain (your understanding) to them but they
wouldn't listen. Perhaps what you tried to explain, they had read for themselves
and as far as the anti-religion quip was concerned, maybe they do not hold
that  view and diddn't think it worthwhile to spend time on it as opposed to not
 wanting to listen. Besides, I don't believe you are part of the pdois
executive  are you?

Next Suntou, you made a scary quantum leap to theorize that "if pdois is  not
an alternative and Halifa and Sidia should retire, who is the alternative to
aprc". I was shocked Suntou because:

1. Pdois is an alternative to aprc. Anything is an alternative to aprc. The
question is is pdois Suntou's preferred alternative to aprc?

2. I did not remmember where you shared that the gambians you spoke with
suggested that Halifa and or Sidia retire. Is that Suntou's personal suggestion
or was it the gambians' suggestion? The reason I am confused Suntou is that
whether Halifa and or Sidia ought to retire, is the purview of PDOIS and no one
 else. Besides, their constituents' opinions carry more weight than anyone
else  don't you think? Is the suggestion that they ought to retire from gambian
politics or retire from representing their constituents in the National
Assembly?

Suntou, as I read further, I realized that you had blamed illiterates for
aprc's prior electoral victories. I am baffled and I think you ought to ammend
that notion. Literates and illiterates both have rights to their opinions and
desires especially for governance. I think you should try to persuade the
illiterates to share your desires rather than blame them for not sharing your
desires.

"Some agreed with UDP's policies but the majority (of the gambians you  spoke
with) don't consider Darboe a formidable leader" you continued. Wow!!! You
shared Suntou that there were a hundred or so educated gambians at this
gathering. Did you engage the hundred in this politics chat or maybe 5 of the
hundred educated gambians present????? It makes a big difference you know for
statistical reasons. I'm sitting here thinking that all the 25 of the  100 agreed
with the UDP's policies and 75 of them do not think Ousainou is a  formidable
leader. I would be most appreciative if you could qualify the  numbers.
Be that as it may, did you ask them what makes a formidable leader in
gambia?? And do you need a "formidable" leader to contest governance of gambia?  Was
Yahya a formidable leader to be chosen by the Junta to become President? SO
Halifa and Sidia should retire, Ousainou is not a formidable leader, and
pdois/nadd is not an alternative to aprc, and Yahya continues to exploit  gambians
because these conditions keep the door open for Yahya to continue to  abuse
what you call the "backward way of thinking about our politicians.

You must admit that you have prepared the bed of backward way of thinking
and you, Suntou, are preparing to lay in it but you wish for company. I don't
think the gambians you spoke with (if more than 5) shared these views you
assign  to them Suntou. We must be very careful not to require others to adopt our
personal opinions and desires. I am a bit disappointed Suntou. Thanks for
sharing your thoughts though. I would advise some clarifications in order  to
more accurately represent the conversation you had with the  gambians.

Haruna.