GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rene Badjan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:43:25 EDT
    It is amazing that people hated this government with so much passion,
that we can entertain this kind of violent recourse to take over power. It
should happen once, but not twice. From the experiences in other places, and
even what has transpired in our country, we should not condone or take such
threats lightly. If Gambians want their country to degenerate into another
sorrow situation as the likes of Liberia and Sierra Leone, we should then be
apologetic to this kind of destablizing public statements, and publicly
instilling fear in the hearts of the Gambian people. It is a psychological
warfare which can explode in our face, and mirred our country into an
irredeemable catastrophe. We were lucky once, but cannot count on being lucky
again.

    Let us all try to convince ourselves, that the best approach to bring
change and lasting peace in our beautiful country, is only through
constitutional means. This is the only way. Let us trust the Gambian people,
that when the time has come for them to change their government, they surely
will. Let no one try to act for them, or on their behalf. As long as it may
take, they are bound eventually to make the right choices.

    Rene