GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:04:51 PDT
Gambia-L,

I received this update from the Gambia a shortwhile ago.

Ebrima Ceesay

Ebrima,

Someone has just called my office to say we should be on the alert because
something is going to happen. I do not know what that means but what I do
know is that the Bakau Depot has been emptied of women and children. I hope
it is not another carnage among the forces themselves.

Meanwhile, a serious tension is brewing in the country, this time, between
the Paramilitary Forces and the Gambia National Army (GNA).
The GNA is pointing fingers at the para-military and the para-military
forces in turn is blaming the GNA for what happened. The police is left on
the side lines as usual.

They are all jockeying for position in readiness for Jammeh's arrival. Have
you read the Vice President's speech delivered last evening? Isn't it
disgusting? She has lost whatever respect and dignity she had left, if ever
there was anything there in the first place.

The dead bodies have also started to decompose, but there is an instruction
from President Jammeh that no one of them should be buried until he returns,
even if it means that the bodies are going to decompose or get rotten.

Anyway, I am going home to beat the traffic and the possible road blocks. I
do not trust my office any more.

Meanwhile, please continue to pray for us.