GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
MUHAMMED CEESAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:29:02 +0000
Dear list managers,
I strongly condemn the language used in this article as uncivil,
unpleasant and unworthy of decent conversation.  After the Matar Njie
fiasco I think people have been more careful in the use of words on
the L.  Imam fatty is a religious leader and most importantly a
Gambian who has every right to express his opinion.  We may disagree
with him and I think we are perfectly entiled to this but we should
base our arguments on facts and not on emotion.  The Imam is a
modern educated man and for him to be described on the L as
p......where he is not  here to defend his opinion is beyond the pale
in my opinion.
Assalamu alaikum

Dr M Mansour Ceesay
London School of Hygiene & TRopical Medicine

Hellow brother,
I think you and Imam Fatty has missed the whole issue. HIV/AIDS is a
killer disease that does not distinguish between Muslim and none
muslim,or class.We have over 21 million perple in Africa subsahara who
are going to die of  HIV/AIDS. Does the Iman mean that we should not
prevent the disease or should we just let people to stay ignorant of the
problem? The Imam is primitive and in my opinion one should
differienciate between science and religion. He should keep to his
religious preachings and the scientist do their job to save the human
race from this trebble disease. The Imam does not know anything about
medicine and cure. We who work idealy with HIV/AIDS patients know what
the people suffer. It can finish a whole village in the small Gambia
withn a dicade.IIf I meet the Imam, The question I would ask him is if
he has a knoledge of curing the pest (HIV/AIDS).Iven in the most
religious countries, prevention campanges are going on. HIV/AIDS is
every were in the world.Does the Imam mean that if he is sick to die, he
does not go to the docto? Brother I live in Sweden where all HIV/AIDS
infected patients recieve free medicine to at least slow the process. I
think the Imam should take a great part in the prevention campange in
the Gambian, rather than discouraging it. When it regards to Dr.Samba's
mother,(my aunt) he is lucky that I am not in the Gambia to reply him of
his rudeness. He cannot force anybody to accept any practice that is
scientifically proved that it is dangerous to the women. He should get
incontact with us who help some of these victims in Sweden. Islam
condems female circumcision. If it does not let him cote where it is in
the Quran. I dont wish to argue with him when it comes to Islam, but
when it comes to saving live I am more informed than he is. Tell the
Imam the truth, Instead of defending him.
-Reese

Yankuba Badjie wrote:

> Hello Woman right fighters and supporters:
  I stand for what all Great Imam Fatty said. I might be the only one to
  speak for Imam Fatty. But that does not mean that  I am against woman
  rights or I hate those who are against the Issue. Not at all, because I
  don't think man can easily succeed on this earth without the woman on
  one side or the other. Therefore the required freedom of the woman is a
  very good thing to every man.

  I am sure that you will agree with me that it's the responsibility of
  any Muslim to do what you are suppose to do in your short period of
  life time. I mean it's the responsibility of parents to make sure their
  children know about Islam. It's the responsibility of even a friend to
  inform his or her friend how ever little he knows about Islam.
  Therefore It's the responsibility of Imam Fatty to share his Islamic
  knowledge with every Gambian fellow Muslim as an Islamic leader.No
  matter what the consequences might be. Because if any of the above
  mentioned parties fail to do so, he will account for it in the
  hereafter. So Imam Fatty has the full right to speak out on this issue.

  Fellows! it's not easy to agree that taking pills and stuff like that
  is an act of prostitution encouragement. But technically I think it is.
  Think about this. If a girl has a pack of all kinds of pills in her
  bag, how strong is she going to be if she decides not to do one of the
  most prohibited act by Islamic law? That is premature sex. Let us be
  honest and base all our thoughts religiously. At first those small bags
  on their solders use to contain their lips sticks and other kinds of
  make ups. But now a days if you check those bags one at a time, you
  will find a Condom in more than one of them. So girls keeping those
  kind of things with them, what does that mean? Again let be honest and
  base all thoughts religiously. Then if a  religious leader speaks
  against this act,is he not great and loyal?

  On the issues of what he said to other fellow muslims, Again it's
  really offensive,but again think about this. If you are someone who has
  a very good Islamic knowledge like my great Imam Fatty, and you
  happened to realize that some of your fellow muslims take bribes to
  speak against Islam. How are you going to describe those fellow
  muslims, especially when giving lectures. Think about it.

  Brothers and sister I am  pretty much sure that my great Imam Fatty
  knows very well that it is over too late to make a stop to these acts.
  but trust me, he is doing all that he is supposed to do as someone with
  such a knowledge. Because  if he dose not, as I said earlier he will
  account for it, for not doing so in hereafter.So on that note I
  personally recommend him as my greatest Imam as from today. Matter of
  fact if anyone may know how to contact him, please help me. Well I
  guess Imam's issue is enough for now.  In conclusion, I  would like to
  let everyone know that I am very sorry if I might offend anybody. I
  don't mean to do so. I wish everyone a good day and may God bless us
  all.

  Badjie-Bassen

> Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit www.msn.com

-------------------------[ Content-type: text/html ]------------------------
Hellow brother,
a killer disease that does not distinguish between Muslim and none muslim,or
class.We have over 21 million perple in Africa subsahara who are going
to die of&nbsp; HIV/AIDS. Does the Iman mean that we should not prevent
[...]
Woman right fighters and supporters:</font></font>
for what all Great Imam Fatty said. I might be the only one to speak for
Imam Fatty. But that does not mean that&nbsp; I am against woman rights
or I hate those who are against the Issue. Not at all, because I don't
think man can easily succeed on this earth without the woman on one side
or the other. Therefore the required freedom of the woman is a very good
thing to every man.</font></font>
that you will agree with me that it's the responsibility of any Muslim
to do what you are suppose to do in your short period of life time. I mean
it's the responsibility of parents to make sure their children know about
Islam. It's the responsibility of even a friend to inform his or her friend
how ever little he knows about Islam. Therefore It's the responsibility
of Imam Fatty to share his Islamic knowledge with every Gambian fellow
Muslim as an Islamic leader.No matter what the consequences might be. Because
if any of the above mentioned parties fail to do so, he will account for
it in the hereafter. So Imam Fatty has the full right to speak out on this
issue.</font></font>
it's not easy to agree that taking pills and stuff like that is an act
of prostitution encouragement. But technically I think it is. Think about
this. If a girl has a pack of all kinds of pills in her bag, how strong
is she going to be if she decides not to do one of the most prohibited
act by Islamic law? That is premature sex. Let us be honest and base all
our thoughts religiously. At first those small bags on their solders use
to contain their lips sticks and other kinds of make ups. But now a days
if you check those bags one at a time, you will find a Condom in more than
one of them. So girls keeping those kind of things with them, what does
that mean? Again let be honest and base all thoughts religiously. Then
if a&nbsp; religious leader speaks against this act,is he not great and
loyal?</font></font>
issues of what he said to other fellow muslims, Again it's really offensive,but
again think about this. If you are someone who has a very good Islamic
knowledge like my great Imam Fatty, and you happened to realize that some
of your fellow muslims take bribes to speak against Islam. How are you
going to describe those fellow muslims, especially when giving lectures.
Think about it.</font></font>
and sister I am&nbsp; pretty much sure that my great Imam Fatty knows very
well that it is over too late to make a stop to these acts. but trust me,
he is doing all that he is supposed to do as someone with such a knowledge.
Because&nbsp; if he dose not, as I said earlier he will account for it,
for not doing so in hereafter.So on that note I personally recommend him
as my greatest Imam as from today. Matter of fact if anyone may know how
to contact him, please help me. Well I guess Imam's issue is enough for
now.&nbsp; In conclusion, I&nbsp; would like to let everyone know that
I am very sorry if I might offend anybody. I don't mean to do so. I wish
everyone a good day and may God bless us all.</font></font>