GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadou Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 16:40:50 -0000
Folks, even Jammeh's lead rapper, Fatoumatta Jahumpa Ceesay recognises the
impact of GAMBIA-L. Please read on...

Sources reaching Daily Observer have reported that Dr Lamin K Saho has
pledged his allegiance to the APRC. Dr Saho was a former minister of
Information in the PPP government and now operates Atlant Airlines. I have
been trying to get in touch with Dr Saho since Saturday when the news broke
out but he was unavailable for comment. Senior officials of the APRC have
also declined to confirm or dispute the report. However, people close to Dr
Saho including local political spinners in Baddibu he reportedly contacted
to inform of his decision, have confirmed that Dr Saho has gone to the APRC.

Dr Saho's reported cross-over to the ruling APRC comes eight weeks before
the March 31 by-elections in his native Baddibu Central following the death
of the seating member, Abdou Karamba Kassama. If the cross-over is true, Dr
Saho is expected to be a leading contender in the APRC shortlist of
candidates for the by-election. The seat was comfortably taken by the
opposition UDP in the 1997 National Assembly elections by Mr Kassama, a
protege of Sheriff Mustapha Dibba, the leader of the disbanded National
Convention Party and a man widely regarded as wielding great political
influence in the constituency. In the 1982 elections held in the wake of the
Kukoi Samba Sanyang abortive coup, Mr Saho, contesting on a PPP ticket, took
away the seat from Sheriff Dibba who was incarcerated in Mile Two facing
treason trial.

He was re-elected in 1987 but lost to Dibba in 1992. Dr Saho has been
involved in many legal battles against the state since 1994. My sources said
Dr Saho has been invited by "big-wigs" in the APRC to join the party.
However, Musa Suso, the National Assembly member for Sukuta, where Mr Saho
resides, told Daily Observer yesterday, "Sometime back, Dr Saho told me that
he has the interest to join the APRC, but said the party never invites him
to their programmes. He was ever interested to join the party, but he said
we don't normally invite him to our programmes that's why he was unable to
join us."

Mr Suso however, could not confirm whether Dr Saho now wears the green tag.
Contacted, the director of press and public relations at State House,
Fatoumata Jahumpa-Ceesay, said, "Well, I'm not yet aware of it. This is news
to me. I read it on Gambia-L because you see, those people are now acting as
if they know our government more than us. They are the government now."
Tamsir Jallow, majority leader of the assembly said, "I'm not aware of it.
It's good news. APRC is an open party and it's open to every Gambian."