GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin Sanyang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 00:26:30 +0000
Ron,
If i read a great piece by anyone on this List, i will not hesitate to
commend them for their time and willingness to share. When i read
inconsistency in Lers postings and the issue is an area of interest i will
not start looking around faces to observe who approves or who does not. My
conscience is what guides me. I have NOT joined Gambia-L to make enemies. If
along the way i make friends, i will be very happy. But making those friends
does not mean i have to abandon my basic fundamental principles! Apparently
you are struggling to bring consistency in an inconsistent stance. Well,
suit yourself! But i definitely do not share yours or Ciise's views on
Chongan this time!

When you talk about an Achilles's heel is like insinuating i am Mr. Ciise's
arch enemy. I am NOT! When Ciise is at his best, i do not reserve my
commendation of him. Why can't i put in two cents where i disagree with
him??

You wrote and i quote:

"I am aware of Ngorr's high regard for Chongan, but I was hoping you would
take him up on the invitation for all of us to express similar
(unadulterated and unbalanced) "ecstasy" for other Gambians we wish to
commend for whatever reason. For example, If you felt similarly about Jammeh
or whoever else, I would not have been alarmed if you thanked and commended
Jammeh for what you thought was Gallant on his part or deserved
acknowledgement."

If Ngorr had commended someone like Mustapha Danso, i will give him a
chorus. A eulogy for Pa Hali Jammeh would have generated a clapping of
hands. I do not share his 'ecstasy', as you call it, for Chongan. I have
stated why. Infact i have gone a step further by bringing forth Chongan's
positive qualities without antagonizing the guy. The fact that he(Chongan)
was an instrument of coercion i maintain! I stand by my words! No budging
here!

Then you made reference to Jammeh and if i may wish to express similar
sentiment on him like Ngorr did for Chongan. For your good self, Yaa Haruna,
and for anybody on this List who cares to read on, i would like to make a
couple of things clear:

1)I never liked The PPP and its leadership. In my own small ways i have
tried and prayed to see to their downfall. I was in a political movement
that called on all responsible Gambians at the time to join forces and bring
down the 'Dictatorship' as i perceived Jawara and his government.

2)Jammeh responded to that call!!! When others were afraid of losing one
thing or another, among which was DEAR LIFE, Jammeh answered the call! He
was NO coward!

3)When he took power, it was his life Jammeh put on the line. For on that
fateful day if any minute thing was to go wrong we all know what the result
of that would have spelt for him and his group.

4)Jammeh became a COWARD the day he snuffed the lives of TWELVE young
people! And to this day he does not have the courage to face the people and
repent for his deeds. Since i came to the realization that indeed he must
have been the one who gave those lethal orders, all the respect and love i
had for him as a Leader, a Gambian and a Human-being just DIED! Yaya Jammeh
IS NOT MY HERO!!!

Some time ago one of the Jeng brothers, i guess it was Father Mose, wrote an
interesting article, calling for the restoration of the revolution that was
hijacked. I was in the middle of exams and had not enough time to put in a
cent. A summary of which would have read: 'Yaya Jammeh is/was never a
revolutionary. Thomas Sankara was'!

Ron, if it was not for the April incident, i can, if i want to, come on
Gambia-L and defend Jemus. Just like Pa Modou Gassama is doing.

For Jammeh took over from a leader who brought in Senegalese soldiers to
murder us in 1981. Incarcerating hundreds. That government murdered the
brave and invincible Mustapha Danso and the legendary Pa Hali Jammeh. That
was the government and its leadership who could not contain Junkungda Daffeh
and Sanna Manneh when the duo exposed the biggest economic scandal of our
Gambian times. The Gambia Commercial and Dev. Bank Scandal. A whole bank was
rendered bankrupt, when we had a bunch of 'untouchables' basking in our
meagre funds, proud to be called 'The Banjul Mafia'. This government wrecked
our Gambia Co-operative Union  with a net liability of D183million(One
hundred and eighty-three million dalasis). Can you remember the balance in
their books???(D47), Forty-seven dalasis!!! Forty pitiful seven
dalasis!!!This is no joke and you know it is a fact!!! This was the
government that allowed Sainey Darboe(Is he your relative, Ron?) to call
Jahally Pacharr his 'Empire'. I was standing under his nose, with Dr. Jagne,
director of the ADP II  when he said the words. The list goes on. You know
it, people who are not suffering from selective amnesia know it, the kidz
know it!!!

I don't share Mr. Gassama's enthusiasm. Dave Manneh spoke for me and the
words are very clear! So please clear this in your mind, once and for
all...I am NO Pro-Jammeh!!!

I am NOT here to educate people. What i shared here is just a punch on your
tangent board away from you! Ron, the world is at each and everybody's
finger tips!!! That is not the issue. The question is: do you have the time
and are you interested?

Mr. Ngorr is not my enemy! I believe in what i wrote and i stand by my
words. This is my last cent on this topic, hoping that i've not shocked the
day lights out of you. Can we move on to the health issue?
Sanyang.

>From: Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: TODAY'S QUOTE -- Ebrima Ismaila Chongan
>Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 23:21:46 +0000

Lamin,

Thanx for giving me the reason for your sidewinder of a reaction. I now
understand that you were confronting Ngorr for an apparent inconsistency you
may have observed on his part. Whether Ngorr was inconsistent or not, His
commendation of Chongan may not have been the right posting to prod that
achille's heel. That will only invite a back and forth that does not seem to
have an ending when Chongan's shortcomings are linked to the problems of the
Nation-State. It just seemed far-fetched. I am aware of Ngorr's high regard
for Chongan, but I was hoping you would take him up on the invitation for
all of us to express similar (unadulterated and unbalanced) "ecstacy" for
other Gambians we wish to commend for whatever reason. For example, If you
felt similarly about Jammeh or whoever else, I would not have been alarmed
if you thanked and commended Jammeh for what you thought was Gallant on his
part or deserved acknowledgement.

I commended you for your intellect and generousity of spirit when you
educate us in areas you seem to display a fair amount of proficiency in. I
do not commend nor chastise you for your expressions of unbridled delight or
ecstacy at another Gambian because you will have been speaking of your
personal experience. If you didn't have method and reason for the joy, then
I might read sycophantic tendency in it. Surely there must be a Gambian who
deserves your commendation.

Your reaction to this particular piece of Ngorr's was uncalled for and
unhelpful. I urge you to reconsider it in that light. If you believe it to
be well-placed, we wouldn't dwell on it. Let's move on to the invitation to
discuss healthcare and its efficient delivery in Gambia. Thank you for
obliging.

The premise is that you have a budget of 5Million Dalasis and the
responsibility for the delivery of Healthcare in Gambia. Assume you only
have The Royal victoria and its attendant wards of Midwifery and
immunization and the outfit in Bansang as public health facilities and a
smattering of private and charitable clinics. You may begin by assessing the
state of RVH, Bansang, and Garawol to identify opportunities for
improvement. Not to Forrrrget (as Arafat would say) primary health and
network of dispensaries.

I hope I don't have to worry about a proclivity for dopamine.

Les plus importants transformations sont les modifications "accidentelles".

Yours truly - Haruna.