GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Matarr Moses Sajaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 02:56:34 EST
Boto,
 I will spare you because the members on this list have already
demonstrated their disgust with your posting. I agree that our
current state of the union needs some serious restructuring but
even insinuating Jawara's pragmatism is not only an insult to
progress.
 Let me put it to you bluntly, Jawara was bad for Gambia, made
some poor decisions and acted carelessly with our future. What
a pragmatic leader brings to a job is progressive growth, economic
prosperity,
educational opportunity and the ability to control resources and sustain
viability.
  What we need as a nation is to look for a leader that can grow our country
to a
viable democracy that provides social and economic promise for all its
people. This is
easier said than done.  I understand our frustrations with the Jammeh's
Government, lets not lose sight to the fact that Jawara and company had
thirty years to squander our resources.
   May be someday Jawara himself will openly apologize to the Gambians for
his poor leadership and the severe setbacks he forced on us as a nation.
Forget all those browny points awards on human rights and peace. I don't know
who had your bread and butter, most of us were living in abject poverty and
hopelessness.
   Next time you decide to blast us with phony statistics about Jawara's
accomplishments, please conduct an inquiry to test the validity of your data.
Don't become one of those Gambians who lives in this paradigm "God makes
leaders and God puts them there so God will decide when to remove them," if
you dwell in this paradigm, please make a u-turn to reality.
   My believe is that every Gambian citizen must be granted the opportunity
to run for office. I passionately believe that to achieve direct democracy
the Jammeh government must lift the ban on all political parties and let the
Gambian people decide.
   Keep pressing on.
Success is not free neither is failure.
Matarr