GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Dr. Alhaji S. Jeng" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 01:04:47 +0200
Folks,

Jungle Sunrise's statements below explain exactly my concerns relating to
oil as a resource in our dear Gambia, but also in other African countries.
While Europe and Asia are generally concerned about the welfare of their
people, we in Africa are more concerned about filling our pockets and giving
a damn about anybody else. I wonder why we are like this !!  Why is it so
difficult for those Africans in position of power and influence to think
nationally first and then individualistically afterwards?

On the prospects of oil for the Gambia, my fear is that our leaders, not
only political leaders, but administrative ones as well, will be so busy
trying to enrich themselves, taking great advantage of their positions of
power, that national interests will not be on their agenda at all.

Imagine, quoting Jungle Sunrise "just a few days ago, while African leaders
were
lobbying the G8 leaders for support for NEPAD and by extension begging for
more money to
squander, Kenyan MPs were busy voting to award themselves almost an
eleven-fold salart increase. It was absolutely disgusting hearing one Mp
trying to justify their almost 11 fold increase of salary from UD $5,000 per
month to US $54,000 per month" !!

Dr. Jeng