GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 11:25:21 +0100
Karamba

A strong piece of advice and when Darboe comes to the
United Kingdom we will give him the same treatment.
Gambia deserves better and another five years under
APRC will be a disaster. Lets do it for the sake of
our brother who have suffered too long.

Hope you have a successful ALD symposium.

Sanusi

--- Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
<HR>
<P>Karamba, you have my vote.</P>
<P>Chi Jaama</P>
<P>Joe Sambou<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: [log in to unmask]
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To: The Gambia and related-issues
mailing list <[log in to unmask]>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: [log in to unmask]
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: The Opposition and the
Doubters
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 17:13:29 EDT
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;When Halifah Sallah came last summer as
an invited guest of the ALD , I
<DIV></DIV>&gt;attended all the public fora he spoke
at. I enjoyed everyone of them
<DIV></DIV>&gt;notwithstanding some differences I have
with MR Sallah and his party. But
<DIV></DIV>&gt;what left a lasting impression in me
was the few but extremely dedicated
<DIV></DIV>&gt;supporters who were by Mr Sallah's side
. They were Gambians based here in
<DIV></DIV>&gt;the US some of whom lived as far away
as the midwest. You could see the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;passion in their eyes as they
coordinated everything from occasionally
<DIV></DIV>&gt;adjusting his microphone , to
distributing PDOIS literature and audio tapes.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Talking to them quickly reveal people
driven by genuine faith in a message
<DIV></DIV>&gt;and a people. Travelling hundreds of
miles and expending resources to help
<DIV></DIV>&gt;spread a messsage they believe in is an
admirable demonstration of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;participatory democracy in which
individuals in their small way contribute
<DIV></DIV>&gt;immensely to the course of freedom and
change. Afterall participation is what
<DIV></DIV>&gt;lies at the very heart of democracy and
it is only when we as individulas
<DIV></DIV>&gt;choose to pertake in the political
process can we shape and influence our
<DIV></DIV>&gt;destiny as a nation. No one is entitle
to great leadership and no such
<DIV></DIV>&gt;leadership miraculously emanates from a
vacuum. We all have a duty to work
<DIV></DIV>&gt;for the kind of society we want to live
in. That means rolling up our sleeves
<DIV></DIV>&gt;and doing the hard work of coming
together to fashion a governmental
<DIV></DIV>&gt;framework that would actually help our
people. If we don't quickly dispense
<DIV></DIV>&gt;with the paralysis and decay that lack
of participation invariably entails,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;we may not have a nation to save. Until
at such time that we as a people
<DIV></DIV>&gt;decide to resort to alternative means
of change , we must give the political
<DIV></DIV>&gt;process our utmost. The politicians we
will meet on Friday and Saturday on
<DIV></DIV>&gt;the 25 and 26 of May are not perfect by
anymeans. Their separate or combined
<DIV></DIV>&gt;platforms may not incorporate all of
the ideas and visions we desire for our
<DIV></DIV>&gt;country. They may not be verulent
idealogues. But Ousainou Darboe, Hamat Bah
<DIV></DIV>&gt;and Sedia Jatta are honourable men
dedicated to their country. They will come
<DIV></DIV>&gt;to the United States to ask you the
sons and daughters of Gambia to fully
<DIV></DIV>&gt;pariticipate in the salvation of the
nation. We, their hosts would come down
<DIV></DIV>&gt;to two profound choices. First we can
offer full partnership by acknowledging
<DIV></DIV>&gt;the scope of the danger enveloping our
country and doing whatever is
<DIV></DIV>&gt;necessary to forestall it. That would
mean committing time and resources and
<DIV></DIV>&gt;actively engaging the politicians on
the ground.On the otherhand we can
<DIV></DIV>&gt;choose the easier alternative of
disengaging, pronouncing events back home as
<DIV></DIV>&gt;hopeless and irreversable . We can
pretend that all fault lies on the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;struggling politicians with no
resources. When we settle for the latter , we
<DIV></DIV>&gt;would have by implication forfeited our
right to complain and consign
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ourselves to the dubious distinction of
being the generation of Gambians who
<DIV></DIV>&gt;sat by while their nation was destroyed
and their people enslaved. We must
<DIV></DIV>&gt;expunge from our system the very
unhealthy habbit of excuse making and
<DIV></DIV>&gt;bickering as a cynical ploy to avoid
doing the hard work we know is required
<DIV></DIV>&gt;for success. We can spend a lifetime
finding fault with everyone or thing we
<DIV></DIV>&gt;encounter . The task for a people
desiring positive change is the ability to
<DIV></DIV>&gt;transcend personal apprehension,
suspicions and other inhibitions inorder to
<DIV></DIV>&gt;achieve the broader objective of the
common good. Even mature democracies
<DIV></DIV>&gt;contend with intra-party disagreements
. Their strength lie in the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;organisations ability to sort out these
inherent differences in a manner that
<DIV></DIV>&gt;leaves them stronger. At this difficult
time in our country , we must learn
<DIV></DIV>&gt;to parlay our relatively minor
differences into a strong and effective
<DIV></DIV>&gt;platform for change. Our biggest
hindrance is our propensity to reject people
<DIV></DIV>&gt;and their efforts out of hand if we
perceive them to be unsuitable. Lets
<DIV></DIV>&gt;embrace our politicians and in the
process lobby them for the things we care
<DIV></DIV>&gt;about. Lets help them financially to
whatever extent we can. We have asked
<DIV></DIV>&gt;sufficient questions. Let us now work
our answers into the kind of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;transformational politics we all say we
want. We must all be the great guys
<DIV></DIV>&gt;who ably served as leutenants for MR
Sallah. It is their kind who would make
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Gambia better.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Karamba
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;----------------------------------------------------------------------------
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To unsubscribe/subscribe or view
archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Web interface at:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html
<DIV></DIV>&gt;You may also send subscription requests
to [log in to unmask]
<DIV></DIV>&gt;if you have problems accessing the web
interface and remember to write your full name and
e-mail address.
<DIV></DIV><br clear=all><hr>Get your FREE download of
MSN Explorer at <a