GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:16:21 EST
KB:
As usual, very well said!  The world of international politics is quite murky
and sometimes maintaining hegemony over a subregion means that countries with
opposing records become unlikely bedfellows.  Nothing new about that, but it
is refreshing to see you put things into prespective.

On the new military plane, hopefully it is a gift from friends of the
government like Victor Bout, the Ukranian arms dealer who helped setup the
Millenium Airlines.  Just for the sake of perspective, Victor Bout and his
chronies have helped arm rebel groups in most trouble areas in Africa.  They
have profitted of the misery of Africans by smuggling arms into Africa using
shady airline companies such as Millenium.  They smuggle minerals such as
diamonds out of Africa in exchange for the instruments of death and
destruction they bring to us.  To think that the highest echelons of our
leadership have ties to such despicable folks sends a shiver down my spine..
But God is truly great and those who profiteer of the blood and misery of
Africa shall be burned by FIYA here on Earth.  They shall not escape and we
shall not forget either!

Shayd underworld connections aside, what really tickles me is the fact that
this plane appeared out of nowhere.  As Karamba, succintly alluded to in one
of his pieces, the givernment owes it to the people of The Gambia to explain,
where the plane came from, how it was paid for, as well as how the money will
be explained when the yearly budget speech is given by SOS Famara Jatta!  In
other words, how does this purchase affect other areas which are covered by
the budget.  Did this come out of the allotment for education?

In a half ideal democracy, this purchase would've had to be debated by
parliament before any moves to get the plane were made.  But, no, instead we
have a regime that neither respects nor understand the reason why we have a
sitting parliament.  After all, when a NAM such as Fatou Jahumpa publicly
states that she is a loyal servant to the honorable Mansa, who would
willingly perform maid duties, one clearly gets the impression that even most
NAMS, save the likes of Halifa and Uncle Sidia, understand the true purpose
of their jobs.  When we have NAMS like Baaba Jobe, a UN sanctioned arms
dealer, terrorist and war criminal, as majority leader in parliament, it goes
to show that those that elected him lack an ounce an integrity within
themselves.  This is truly sad, and like KB said, we are truly the laughing
stock of Africa.