GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 20:53:24 -0500
There are other aspects to my recent trip to The Gambia that I intend to share with the Bantaba. Hopefully, these other contributions will not ignite the emotional and passionate earthquake the first one has generated.

I was in the Gambia during the National Assembly Elections, unfortunately, unlike the Presidential elections, this was one election that political junkies like myself hated to see. It was a political reality that the UDP boycott had a tremendous effect to the whole election process, especially in the Greater Banjul Area. The interest level was very low, and the election rally coverage on TV was really boring at best. For me, I tried to remain focus listened and watched many of the rallies, and to try to enjoy and understand political campaign Gambian style. On one of the coverage, for the first time I saw and listened to Mr.S.M.Dibba and it was sad. SM Dibba, one of the greatest opposition leaders that the country ever had, has now become a praise singer to the status quo. The issues are gone, the principles fading away, and he is still running against his nemesis ex-president Jawara. One may ask, why the sudden change of hearth? Simply, there is nowhere else for SM Dbba to go. The man has become a deadwood who has spend all his political capital and needed to be rescued. One of the realities that daunted on me was that, Gambia’s political generation has shifted and changed, the Jawara’s and the Dibba’s do no longer carry that emotional following.

There were lots of spinning about the boycott. The APRC was spewing the argument that the only reason the UDP boycotted the elections was because of the lack of funds, especially when they are absolutely certain of not to carry a single constituency. According to them, the UDP, who is still wrestling with their presidential disappointment, is in no situation to launch a countrywide election campaign, both emotionally and financially. As for the UDP, their spin was, the IEC has conducted itself and has allowed the institution to be used by the APRC to orchestrate a flawed registration process. According to them, the process is so flawed and rigged that it undermined the usefulness in participating in a process that is already stacked against them. The issue of voter registration switching to constituencies that the opposition has a chance of carrying, and the IEC’s playing along with the APRC government was enough reason to boycott the elections. There were charges and counter charges about the boycott. The political reality was that, the boycott was very effective and has definitely affected the voter turnout and has brought into question the legitimacy of the whole election process. The APRC did not come into power through the ballot box; therefore any election boycott fairly or unfairly would definitely brought into question the fairness of the process. The other point was how would this boycott affect the UDP as a political party? Is this the beginning of the end to the UDP party? These are the very many questions that only time will tell.

Halifa’s Sallah finally winning a seat in the National Assembly was the best news of my entire trip. As a PDOIS supporter, this win was a therapy for all of us and a well needed win. It reaffirmed our beliefs to the Gambian people, and maybe, difficult as it might have been over the years, especially with election disappointment after and other, maybe the PDOIS message has been slowly seeping through to the Gambian people.  It is a political truism that elections have been won in the Gambia because of these fundamental factors: securing vote from a core constituency, and this is usually done by appealing the tribal sentiments of the group; using of finances and resources, basically appealing to the vulnerability of “what is in it for me syndrome”; the creation of structures—selecting of your own Division Commissioners, Alkalos, Community leaders and youth organizations; and having the power structure of government behind you. This is the political reality that PDOIS had to deal with for the last two decades, and yet still staying far away from these political dynamics as possible. For the APRC, like the PPP before them has used these unfair incumbency advantages to the fullest. Even Hamat Bah, the one person that was touted for his performance during the Presidential elections, has taken his notes directly form the APRC playbook. The candidate has put a TV set with wheat grinding machine in every hamlet in Upper saloum, and in a very subtle way has appealed to the tribal sentiment of his tribe, the Fulas. Just like the jolas voted for Jammeh in droves, the Fulas were also attracted to Hamat Bah, the Pularr candidate. And let me be very clear, I am not suggesting that Hamat Bah is a tribalist, but with subtlety has exploited the tribal benefit to the fullest. And this also goes for the UDP, they have exploited the tribal leaning to garner vote. Only PDOIS of all the parties cannot in no way no how be associated with capitalizing on tribal politics.

Halifa sallah-PDOIS won the Serekunda seat strictly on principles and issues. Every voter that walked into that voting booth and voted for Halifa, voted his or her conscience. Yes, it has taken fifteen years, but commitment, honesty, decency and staying with strong political beliefs have prevailed. Who are these Gambian people that voted their conscience? For the first time, with excitement and exuberance I walked into the PDOIS headquarters at Churchill’s Town. The compound was full with mostly poor average Gambians, no prominent socialite or celebrity, and one of them in particular caught my eye. He is one of the voters of conscience. He is a handicap gentleman with walking and speech disabilities. He strolled past me giggling uncontrollably, with emotions and tears hogged Halifa and would not let go. As I continued to watched him, I can see that this win meant a lot to him, not because Halifa appealed to this tribal sensitivities, or promise of financial gain or a job, but Halifa and PDOIS represent what is good and ideal for all Gambians. Like me, the man is stung with what I called the PDOIS bug. The PDOIS bug reinforces the importance of commitment, truthfulness, honesty and the ideal Gambian democracy that will bring about political stability and an environment of socio-economic development. There was one general consensus among all Gambians, including APRC supporters, and that is if anyone deserves to be in the National Assembly is Halifa Sallah.

When I finally sat down to talked to Halifa, and this was just after him (Halifa) going through an interview with GRTS, the man was definitely in demand. Clearly, my point to him was that he has always been a national leader and this win has definitely raised that political reality. As a PDOIS supporter, we are interested to see more of PDOIS seats in the NA, but also there is a tendency that he would be bugged down with big national issues at the expense of representing Serrekunda Central. There is the expectation that both him and Sedia are going to take leadership role on issues of national importance, and this might affect their elected role as representative of Serrekenda Central and Wuli respectively. And wouldn’t this tendency to get bugged with big issues jeopardized their elect ability next NAM elections. As usual, the response was vintage Halifa, “I am elected by the people of Serrekunda Central for the next five years and I am going to concentrate my energy an commitment to just that. Any re-election in the next five years will have no bearing to my responsibilities. Immediately, I will be putting together committees of people in Serekunda Central and together we will start addressing the issues confronting our community and development efforts” (Well, reading from Malick Kah contribution, the formation of these committees have already begun). What is very consoling to me from my trip as far as politics in the Gambia is that, as far as we still have the Halifa’s and the Sedia’s, there is hope that our political process will eventually be cleansed and we can all work towards creating a better tomorrow for our children.

Thanks

Musa JEng