GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:30:44 -0500
Looks like blackmail to me. tells a lot about us as a nation.

Malanding

Farmers to Benefit From Gov't Subsidies

  Email This Page

Print This Page

Visit The Publisher's Site

The Daily Observer (Banjul)

January 29, 2003
Posted to the web January 29, 2003

Pa Malick Faye
Banjul

Yankuba Touray, secretary of state for Tourism and Culture, has said that
Government will give a five-year tax concession to farmers who engage in
large-scale commercial farming in the country.

SoS Touray made this revelation at a meeting in Keneba in Kantora
Constituency, URD, during the ongoing Meet-The-Peoples Tour. He said this
special package is part of Government's efforts to encourage more people to
be involved in large scale agricultural production to make the country food
self-sufficient.

"That being the case, we are calling on wealthy citizens to join the
Government in this drive as they would get all the support needed," Touray
said.

He urged farmers to engage themselves in vegetable production as his
Department of State will be collaborating with the Agriculture Department to
make good market outlets in the hotels because all the vegetables they
consume comes from neighbouring Senegal. "Diversification is what we need in
agriculture. So we should not be engaged in groundnut farming alone. The
APRC will be helping farmers with farming implements soon and the farmers
should take advantage of this," he said.

Speaking at a similar meeting in Madina Samako, in Tumana Constituency,
Touray said Government will first concentrate on areas that voted for them
massively in the elections.

"Any area that wants development should follow this pattern, if not,
anything that happens should be blamed on the people themselves. I am
therefore calling on party militants and chairmen to open the doors to
others to join the party,' he said.

President, Yahya Jammeh, re-echoed Mr Touray's remarks and expressed the
hope that the people of URD will change for the better. He said what his
Government has done for the area in the past years in terms of development
was great and that they should not allow anyone to mislead them. He called
on the menfolk to do away with Bantabas and engage themselves in meaningful
agricultural activities and not to leave everything in the hands of the
women.

"This year, we are not allowing anyone to play football in the rainy season
and anyone who disobeys this order risks being imprisoned and all chiefs and
alkalolu should heed this advice for they too will face punishment if this
is disobeyed," Jammeh said.

----

Make allAfrica.com your home page

----

Top | Site Français | Site Guide | Who We Are | Advertising

----

Copyright © 2002 The Daily Observer. All rights reserved. Distributed by
AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). Click here to contact the copyright
holder directly for corrections -- or for permission to republish or make
other authorized use of this material.