GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 02:01:55 EST
Abdoulie,
I find it extremely funny that our sides seem to be constantly matched up
with the giants of Africa in soccer terms.  In the qualifying rounds of the
next WC, we happen to be matched up with Morocco.   Also, if Wallidan wins
their preliminary round, they get to face one of the African powerhouses in
Raja Casablanca.  There is  a valid reason for concern because Raja just won
the Champion's League and will be representing Africa against the likes of
Manchester United in the inaugural World Club tournament, while the Moroccan
national team has been to many WCs.  This is a classic case of  David against
Goliath  type matchups except that this time David has no sling..

Not to be a pessimist, but don't be surprised if we withdraw at the last
minute due to a lack of funds.  Otherwise, be prepared for a massacre in
Rabat and Casablanca.  A massacre is inevitable for a few reasons.  First,
The Gambia simply does not invest enough money in football to develop a
strong footballing tradition locally or  in the international arena.  Also,
we did not ride or build on the momentum that our soccer had garnered during
two specific periods during the 80s.  The first opportunity to ride the crest
was during the 1980 Zone Two tournament and  the second opportunity was when
we fielded a really strong side with the likes of Bais Wadda, Aziz Corr and
Saul Samba during the mid-80s.  However, it would be unfair to blame the GFA
or the government for the fate that has befallen our football because there
are too many extraneous circumstances involved  in this decline.  Gambian
soccer has  been a victim of some mismanagement and uncontrollable
circumstances as is the case in many African countries.

Again, I don't intend to sound like a gloomy pessimist because we are capable
of producing as much talent as countries like Senegal or Liberia .   All the
great names that have been mentioned on this mailing list is a testament to
this.