GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Malanding S. Jaiteh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:25:20 -0400
Abdoulie, Thanks for sharing with us this paper.

I think the notion that no matter who leads the Gambia will continue to
depend on foreign money to finance its development projects should not be a
surprise to us given that the Gambia does not have the resources (human and
mineral) to develop from within. What I find interesting though is the
contrast in the type of money the two governments rely upon.

It looks like the present government gets money largely through borrowing
compared to "must be 80/20 grant/loan financing" policy of the Jawara days.
While the present approach may be one of "get the money what ever the cost
and do it your own way" does produce in the short term it does seem to be
based on the assumption that "once its all built business will flourish to
pay it all".

If we believe that to be the case then one would like to ask: can we realize
the anticipated business given our size, geographic location, natural
environment, political and business environment? Even if business comes
would it grow quick enough to pay it all?

Malanding Jaiteh