GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 00:16:42 +0000
Gassama, thanks for your showcase of the highpoints of the APRC
administration.  I would like to give my five cents on your responses and
questions to Pa Modou, starting with your questions.

University - Yes, the University is a good thing for Gambia and it would aid
in our development.  Part of our stagnation today as a nation is our lack of
a center for higher learning all these decades.  The University may not be
running at full throttle, but it will some day, like all other University
start-ups around the world.

Medical and Health - Yes, giving our people more access to health care is a
plus and a necessity for developing a viable work force.  Some of the
hospitals/health centers my not be operating at full capacity or are vacant
for various reasons but with good planning we may get there.

Jammeh's Net Worth - In addition to your list, Mr. President in seven years
has sent countless folks to Mecca; has a Private jet that between he and his
wife coming to the US is hours from Yundum (the country Gambia does not have
an airline, but he has one); Built a Mansion with our money; has Swiss bank
accounts one of which he shared with Ebou Jallow, etc.  Do you honestly
believe that these are his legitimate resources?  For discussion purposes,
let's say every butut that was paid him as salary and per diem was never
spent.  That still would not be able to fund 1/20 of his visible
expenditures.  Behind every country in our continent that is surviving on
debt, you have a president, minister, or oligarch that is wealthier than the
state.  This is the source of Africa's poverty and the citizens readily
accept the situation with the hope that they can get trinkets from the
criminals.  Africa and Gambia can never go forward with this kind of
criminal activity.  One does not have to have documentation in hand to prove
that Mobutu, Doe, Boukassa, Abacha, et al were criminals.  All these folks
denied that they were stealing from their peoples until their demise.  Using
the same trail would lead you to the absolute conclusion that Jammeh is
pilfering from the state and I think that any honest Gambian can see that.
The proof you requested, unfortunately, can only be provided after his
demise or when the people flush him out.  Like you I wished that Jammeh was
not a criminal, for our country would have benefited tremendously.  However,
it is an open secret that while we embark on deficit spending as a nation,
Jammeh is accumulating wealth from loans he took on our behalf.  I find it
hard to believe that you sincerely do not think Jammeh and his cronies are
doing the same stealing that they accused the previous administration.  A
thief is a thief, regardless of whether we support the individual.

Agriculture and Fisheries - It is interesting that Jammeh admonished
Gambians for not taking advantage of the opportunities in these sectors.
Why would Jammeh make that statement when he knows full well that the people
he is addressing do not have access to our national coffers like he does.
When he was like the ordinary Samba did he have a plot of land under his
name, much more orchards and animal husbandry outfits?  No he did not.  In
fact prior to his taking over, Jammeh Did Not Have any of the things that we
see him with today.  If you disagree, just name anything that comes to your
mind.  You will also agree with me that he has never patented anything in
his short life, that we can assume a Bill Gates type ascendancy.  So
inquiring minds want to know, what is the source of his wealth?  I can go on
and on but I will yield for your feedback for now.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou