GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Gajigo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 02:09:21 -0500
Mr. Saidy,
I have to commend you for the way you been defending the government and
yourself level-headedly and also providing us with information. Just to set
things straight, I strongly condemn the government's action against the
students. That action was criminal to put it mildly.
You stated in your email that you support the government's decision to stop
the phone-in programs on Radio 1. Don't you think it is in the best interest
of the country to let people let out their anger/frustration peacefully in
radio/TV programs rather than matching in the streets (which by the way they
have the right to do)? The way I see it, you either allow people to show their
anger through demonstrations (which can degenerate into violence when not
handled well, as we have all learnt) or let the people voice their objections
harmless in whichever medium they see fit. I don't know what alternatives the
government has to help the healing process. Defending the security forces who
killed and blaming the students who were the victims certainly won't help. If
the government is not willing to let people do what they have every right to
do, then the country should be prepared to see similar events in the future.

Ousman

Ousman Gajigo               *
703 W. Wabash Ave           *
Crawfordsville, IN 47933    *