GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin B Jammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 14:24:52 EST
In a posting to the list on the subject football by one time star of
Augustinians mr. Pulo, i read with pride about what Augustinians have
achieved in the history of soccer in the Gambia.

I was a youngster when Augustinians were that good but even  at that age,
Augustinains were my favourite team until lately when i grew to like Wallidan
not because of anything but because of  the talents that Wallidan have
especially lately.

I am a fan of good talent in football so that makes it very difficult for me
because i can never hide my admiration for a particular team or player if i
like the style they play,  and this was the reason why i became a Wallidan
fan recently.

Everyone on the list will agree with me undoubtly that there is raw talent in
the Gambia as far as soccer is concerned. Youngsters. have  emerged in the
soccer scene of the Gambia and have vanished without making much impact as
they should have on the Gambian soccer scene when they have the support and
the encouragement that a rising star needs to become a world star.

Gambia's retardment or failure in soccer or sports in general i believe was
not because the GFA was selecting players from their own teams in other words
they were bias in the selection of the team when it come to external
competitions as buttressed by mr.pulo.

Gambia's lack of soccer development as far as i am concerned was purely down
to the fact that the infrastructure that are needed for sports development
are not there to allow the development of the game. A  nation's development
in any area is down to the human resources and the infrastructure to allow
the human resources to engage the activities that brings development.

Equally,  the game of football will never grow in the Gambia unless the tools
that are needed to develop the game are there to do so, however i stand to be
corrected but i strongly believe that no amount of accusation levelled
against the GFA will change the state of the game unless the things that i
have mentioned above are there.

FAs had came and gone since the introduction of the game in our country but
the game seems to be getting dull instead of progressing and can anyone in
the list who is interested and or has been following the development of the
game since it started in the Gambia kindly proof to me that all the FAs that
were responsible for the development of the game in the motherland since
those days were corrupt in the selection of the squad. If so then it must
have been a phenomenal hence the game seems to be where it is years ago
because Gambia has never won a major African tournament.

I believe football can only develop in our country if only the FA and clubs
are being supported financially and morally like it is being done in other
parts of the .  Companies,  wealthy and able individuals and the government
should all ply part in the development of the at home.  But when you look at
the per capita income of the average Gambian including companies, and the
government, supporting football would  be considered a wasteful venture as
people are now thinking of proper food to eat and a place to sleep and send
their children to school.

I think the FA deserved a commendation instead of saying Gambia's failure in
football was down to the bias selection of the squad by the members of the
association who were accused of selecting the players from their respective
teams. Men like OB Conateh,Gabby Sosseh and companies/departments like Ports
Authority should be emulated and commended because they they have done their
best for the game. Administratively,men like our very own brother on the list
mr Adama Sey, Alasana Jitteh,Ousainou Njie and a host of others have all
sacrifice towards the course of promoting the game at home.

When you look at the association that is given the responsibility to develop
the game, they even lack the tools that are even needed to do what they are
being charged to do. What can an association without a car, a budget that can
even take care of the overhead costs, etc., etc. The association only managed
recently a computer and other office stationary such as copiers and fax
machine that are needed to enhance the smooth running of its activities.

The association has even gone to the extent of owing its members money which
was incurred executing their duties. So i think the FA is doing a great job
and wish to say Bravo to the GFA and keep up the good work you are doing.

Happy New Year and and the coming Koriteh to everyone
wassalaam
Lamin B Jammeh,UK