GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:48:09 +0000
Folks, it seems another former NIA Boss is in the US.  What was his track
record in the Gambia?  If Mr. Sowe is reading, I would advise him to tell us
what he knows and his full participation with the Jammeh regime before we
proceed to probe his past or contact the Department of Homeland Security.
Folks, this is not a bluff, but an attempt to give Mr. Sowe a chance to tell
his story.  Looking forward to hearing from Mr. Sowe.

Chi jaama

Joe

Jai Sowe resigns
By Bakare Muritala & Momodou Bah
Oct 25, 2004, 08:39

Email this article
Printer friendly page

Sowe
The assistant commissioner for the Upper River Division, Jai Sowe, last week
resigned and is now reported to be in the United States with his wife.

According to sources, the former deputy Inspector General of Police tendered
his resignation letter and immediately left for Dakar, Senegal where he flew
to the United States.

Confirming Mr Sowe’s sudden leave, a family source said, “he travelled to
the US via Senegal. He left Basse by road on Monday for Dakar where he
boarded a flight to the US.”
When contacted Police PRO Aziz Bojang, who was yesterday in Basse said, he
was not in a position to confirm Mr Sowe’s resignation.

“He is no more with the police and I don’t see any reason why the Police
should be contacted. Since he is now a civil servant, I think the
appropriate department is the best place for you to contact,” he said.

Omar Khan, the commissioner for Upper River Division confimed the
resignation of Mr Sowe but could not say if he is still in town. “I know he
has resigned but I don’t know whether is in town or not,” he said.

Mr Sowe was the deputy Inspector General of Police before he was demoted to
the rank of a suprintendent and went on indefinite leave for months. He was
later appointed the deputy director of the National Intelligence Agency
(NIA), before his last appointment as the deputy commissioner, URD.

Mr Sowe started his security career in 1987 when he was enlisted in the
Gambia National Gendamerie. He did his basic military training in Turkey in
1993.
In late 1996, Mr Sowe was redeployed to the Gambia Police Force as assistant
officer commanding in Central River Division and then OC Sibanor before
being the territorial commander of the Police in 2001.

As police supritendant, he headed