GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 22:56:10 +0200
Amadu Kabir Njie

thank you for postings on slavery and discrimination. We all got to keep
focus on such crimes against humanity, which is right in front of our eyes
every day.

I think that people of today will agree that slavery is a crime against
humanity. Even Iīm not a historian, I think  it is  right that if we go some
hundred years back you could find a majority of people, who did not see
slavery the same way as we do today.

Slavery has itīs own history. In ancient egypt, greece and roman empires the
society, the family and social life was based on slaves. It was legal in
roman law to have slaves, and itīs was also tradition and described how you
should treat your slaves well, as they were a member of your family, but
could not heritage the family name or any goods. I believe that over
thousands of years many million people have served as slaves.

Wars have their slave-history. After second world war Germany and Japan held
a lots of people as slaves. Even up till today we know that prisoners can
still be forced to work as slaves.

And today there are still societies/nations where itīs "legal" and a
tradition to have slaves, and from time to time we get news on such  social
culture. (some arabic, african and asian cultures/societies/nations)

And all over the world we daily learn that poverty force people into slavery
or slavery-like working conditions. UN has itīs own statistic on how many
million of even small children are forced to work and live their life as
slaves, and held as slaves. Sometimes the media even tell the story that
they are forced or sold by their own parents, due to poverty.
And in todays west-europe -, also in Denmark we daily find women forced by
the living-conditions in east-europe, but also under brutal mens oppression
to serve as sex-slaves. They have smuggled them here, taken their papers,
threaten them that they will kill their family back home, if they donīt work
as slaves in the sex-industry.

Even the historic focus will be on the transatlantic slave trade, I think
that a "Slavery Memorial Day" could also serve to remind all of us on the
slavery that still exists.

Comment from Asbjørn Nordam