GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:40:44 EST
Suntou,

You are absolutely right that Gambia or much of West Africa is known for  her
prowess in drumming and merry-making. That culture is what the slaves took
with them to western and eastern shores because it required the least
innovation  to preserve and offered immediate joy.

For your purposes, there is an effort underway to chronicle the place of
Timbuctoo in civilizations. And since Gambia does not have a distinct culture,
(it is a mix of cultures from Senegal, Mali, Guineas Conakry and Bissau,
SierraLeone, Ghana, Nigeria and The Ivory Coast, you may wish to identify a  unique
culture in any of those countries and trace its welfare through Gambia  and
Europe. You may wish to look to Agriculture or a system of indigenous
jurisprudence perhaps. Hope that will yield a source of pride-value.

Masoud. Filthy Poor. MQJGDT. Darbo. Al Sheikh.

In a message dated 1/27/2008 2:44:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,