GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 22:12:23 +0100
Friends,
yesterday I arrived home to Copenhagen after being to the Gambia since
beginning of October. And my mail-box was closed because it has passed the
limits of 1000 mails waiting.

Itīs long time since I wrote to the list. My archive tells me that I have 4
notes saved as draft starting July 31, when there was a comment/note that OJ
has held a press-conference. The 4 notes are all comments on the political
situation, my points of view on the coming election, but due to problems
both with my computer, and later the net, they never reached out from here.
Reading them in a retrospective light of  the outcome of the election is
interesting, but I will spare you for that "old news". Let me just summarize
from them,
1) that I found it interesting and solid "political game of chess" that
Jammeh lifted the ban just giving short time for the "old guard" to play a
role, which I thought a) would split the votes, b) give the sitting
president and ruling party even more advantage, because they could use the
former PPP in the campaign to give a more stronger emphasize of the results
obtained by 7 years of APRC compared to 25 years of PPP-ruling, c) giving
the critical "west" credit
2) that after OJ put former PPP into the game, a) without even saying so or
playing the Jawara-card  many gambians (also on the Gambia-L) already saw
Jawara back in town as a comeback-kid, b) it gave the gambians who did not
believe in the former PPP a chance to say "no-thanks" by the polls, which
Jammehs take-over has denied them, b) that Darboe as the head of the formed
coalition would not be helped by carrying the PPP-bag around his neck, I saw
it as a backlash for him
3) that I was sure that the sitting president should win, because he had the
"results" on his hand, and the different other candidates only had promises
to cast to the people, and the human rights issues would not come up in the
campaign.
4) I prayed that the election would be peacefully organized.
Well I will not elaborate more on that but go to short comment on my notice
before, under and after election day.

I spend my days in western division, every day travelling around, but not up
country or to the north bank this time.
I attended 3 rallies when the candidates came in from up country. I have
traveled The Gambia since 78, and have friends in all "political camps", and
representing different parts of the society. Some serve in ministries/
departments, in business and banks, as well as teachers, mechanics,
carpenters, small businessmen-women in the streets or in local markets etc.,
peasants, unemployed, students etc. But I will never say that my friends and
their families are a representation of the Gambian people. Nor will I say
that my observations are objective. No one can be objective, when it comes
to judge information, what you see and hear. How things are seen and what
you learn from it is depending of the person seeing.
So my comment must also be taken in that perspective. Itīs not the "truth"
so to speak, but what I have observed, sorted out for you to have. That is
in a way also how journalists are working. They select what we should get
from them, later their respective agencies TV- or Radio stations make
priorities and "gate-keepers" will maybe sort things out, which it would
have been interesting for us to have. Like that mine observations are also
"selected" and sorted.

At my hotel there were a group of French journalists covering for France
radio/TV, like a US-group from Alabama with strong connection to the World
Conference of Mayors, who were  monitoring the election.

I watched GRTV every day to see the coverage and comments on the election.
And if possible I got some of my Gambian friends to help with translations
and explanations.

Let me give my comment on the TV coverage first. It was to my opinion OK.
There is a tradition al over the world to cover the Presidents every steps
closely, and also in The Gambia. And that didnīt change because
election-campaign was ongoing. (I remember from last year the President on
Tour - programs running every night). I can not compare to danish TV,
because we donīt have this presidential system. But it is natural here that
the prime minister are given more TV-coverage, simply because of the status
he has. I donīt know if itīs possible to differ between President Jammeh as
President - coverage, and Yahya Jammeh as presidential candidate - coverage.
The latest should not be different from the other candidates TV-presentation
-coverage. But you could also see that the different candidates had not the
same campaign-money, were not all that professional addressing the TV media.
I think that some of them should have tried and produced better coverage
from their campaign and presentation/information videoīs. Now it seems that
the President was very dominant in the media, which he was, but it was not
easy to judge if it was not fair coverage.
The election night we jumped from GRTS-studio to the IEC-office and back to
have votes officially given by Mr. Roberts, repeated in several local
languages, followed by a sign with the figures and % for each candidate, and
with two - four persons to comment. In between there were entertainment. It
was like here in Denmark, only that the process is very very slow, the
resources of GRTV very limited and you can see the program "suffers" from
that lack of resources. I have more detailed comment on that, but will send
them to GRTV later. Over all, as a trained viewer with limited knowledge in
local languages, but a fair overall view on the Gambia for more than 20
years, I find it OK, maybe with a coverage too much in favor of the sitting
President. I hope that both the coverage and the technic can become better
next time, and next time.

The rallies and the campaign.
I met party members, ordinary gambians, people in public jobs,  who have
advocated  long time for their personal candidate. Itīs strange to me to
find that persons in a job-position where they have to serve all the people
of the Gambia, when on job or on duty openly speak for their favorite
candidate. Here in Denmark we expect public servants and offices to be
totally clean for all propaganda. (The picture of the Queen is in all states
buildings, and I would also accept that portraits of The President in public
buildings in The Gambia. This is not propaganda, but can ordinary people see
that ?) Here in Denmark people who serve will not in public tell anyone who
is their favorite or the party they vote for because they will have to be
recognized as "neutral" from as well the administration as the parties,
politicians and the people they have to serve. No matter who rules, which
party has the majority in parliament or the local councils, times and
parties and politicians can change, but you as a servant has to stay, so
stay neutral when in office.
It is also an experiment for me to sit under the green flag with long time
friends in one compound and people singing the praise of Jammeh, and see
them point fingers of their neighbors for many, many years in the next
compound, just because one person in that compound has openly advocated for
Darboe. Last year we celebrated a naming ceremony the two compounds
together, but right now I felt like there was a kind of neutrality between
them. They were not hostile, but close to.
In one small village they all voted on the same candidate, and when I asked
why, they were all very sure and could tell all the good reasons why. Even
the Alkalo has actively walked the streets in weeks to advocate.
In some areas they see the infra-structure progresses as a direct result of
voting for APRC and Jammeh. They often say: "look here,  after so and so
many years with PPP, we only got promises, and look now after just 7 years
with Jammeh we have got new road, school-building, and Nawec and Gamtel is
on their way out here as well."
And in other areas they could just say: "Darboe will win, we donīt want
Jammeh anymore"
Else itīs like here. I had friends in families where the father will vote
for Darboe, the mother for Jammeh and the student son for Jatta. When we
discussed the different candidates they could debate and have a nice chat.

When the candidates came into Kombo the partisan youth from both the
coalition and APRC became more active and agressive, shouting /singing
slogans or slander.
I witness Jammeh passing three times, different places, with the normal
escort in front and after. He was waving, throwing T-shirts and posters. The
days just up to the election, many people was parading Jammeh/APRC t-shirts
and caps, and many women has made dresses of green cloth with portraits of
Jammeh and wife.
Saturday 13. in Banjul there was a party held at the Arch to celebrate
Jammeh. I estimate that half of the participants were non-voting youth and
children. I also watched how the children song "ligay jotna" was used as a
sort of campaign-song for APRC. Jammeh and APRC banners were in place
strategic places in Banjul-Jeswang- Kanifing-Serekunda. In all I find
Jammehs campaign more "modern", appealing the old fashion way and at the
same time appealing to the youth and the children. (The voters in the
future).
Jammeh and APRC had,- as all sitting presidents and parties have it, the
advantage that he could show up "results", and that was how his campaign was
build up. It was his direct way of speaking out, no diplomacy - "look here
what I and the APRC have provided you - more to come if you vote for me/us -
and what did the former government do for you ? " And at the same time he
was also direct where he felt that he had some ground to win "if you donīt
vote for me, you have only yourself to thank if you will not see progresses
here in your area". This way of campaigning is also seen here in Denmark.
The sitting prime minister repeat all the good results and ask people to
vote for him to get more, and if they donīt itīs their own fault if they
will not get it. Then itīs up to the opposition to point fingers or nail the
sweet spots. Or tell that they can do even better.
From an outsider I think that he had the best cards in his hand and he
played them very well. And under his way he came up with proposals which
every gambian family could understand, free education for girls should be
nationvide, the Gambia should within short be selfsufficient with rice. And
the day after election more promises were given.  Many families, specially
many women I visited were for Jammeh.

The opposition coalition, didnīt run the same kind of campaign. I think that
they was not totally coherent, well-knit on the program they intended to
base an eventually government. And I didnīt feel that they whole-heartet
fighted one for all-all for one-campaign. They gave promises for a change,
but the "problem" was - did you believe them ? Here I think it was not easy
for Darboe. First he lost last time, and secondly he should try and convince
many gambians that with him you would not get the old PPP back. He had a
lots of supporters out there, who would vote for him no matter what he said.
But to win he had to come up with a trump card to get more "new" voters to
walk away from the other candidates to his part. And I did not feel he had
that card to play. I felt it was difficult for him to put distance to the
former PPP-ruling period and at the same time be loyal to the formed
coalition. I think that the UDP failed  by joining the coalition - my
opinion. But even alone I still think the advantage for Jammeh was so strong
that he should win no matter what. The "old guard" in Bakau is a strong
place for the coalition, but they did not succeed to get many new voters in
the districts.

When the leaders came into Kombo the parties held rallies different places
the same day, night, and tried to reach around without causing problems. But
there were problems. One night I was waiting close to London-corner for
PDOIS-Jatta -meeting, that was announced there. I left after waiting 2
hours, and later I learned that the meeting was not held until close to 10.
There were heavy problems in Serekunda. Many UDP - supporters has passed.
Later the crossing at the market and the whole area was blocked. The traffic
into Serekunda was very difficult. The military came and fired into the air
to warn the people. I left and walked different streets up to Westfield.
Tuesday the 16. late afternoon I came from Brikama, but just shortly after
Tabokoto the traffic on the road was so slow and the cars stood in a long
row. UDP-youth were running alongside and when we came up to Tallinding I
stepped out for the transport could not pass. I told a few youth in a group
that in my opinion it was the worst they could do - blocking the
Brikama-highway-traffick, it could only give the UDP bad- will from all of
us, who was on the way. I told them that to block the road was the same as
inviting the police to come and spread them. They just shouted at me, that
they would stop Jammeh, and it was their right to held meeting where ever
they liked. I walk up to the Shell petrol station at the corner of Mosque
road, and found that the police had made a road block. At this time a big
lorry with maybe 10 soldiers passed and went up to the UDP demonstration,
and I saw them jump from the car. At the same time the fire-brigade arrived.
I was a bit nervous and decided to walk up to Westfield and take transport.
I passed a corner of Churchillstown, where APRC has just held a meeting.
I think that this way of campaigning where you disturb the public order,
must be changed. I know its a part of the "game" and a tradition, but it can
lead to clashes, when meetings from different parties are held so closely in
time and place.
But if we compare to many other places, also here in Europe, I think that
the rallies and incidents, clashes are not worser in The Gambia than here.
So I think that even there were tragic death over the weeks of campaign and
something can be done to avoid so, the way the campaign were conducted was
OK.

I have some friends who are dedicated to PDOIS. They knew that Jatta could
not win the election, but they were happy with the campaign, even there were
reported that a part of the country has declared themselves PDOIS-free-zone.
In my opinion the people out there were acting very undemocratic by trying
to deny the candidate to hold a meeting. When I got the information I
laughed, but it is really tragic. If you donīt want to here all candidates
before you make your choice is one thing. But when you at the same time will
forbid your neighbor the right to listen, or even will try and forbid the
candidate his legal right to hold meetings and speak, that is censorship of
the worst. You can only learn by listening. Well, I asked some of my
friends, whom I thought maybe were in for PDOIS, why they didnīt voted
PDOIS. I got from two of them the answer: "we maybe know that Jatta is as
good as Sallah - but why is it not Halifa Sallah who candidate ? itīs like
you want to ride a car and you know the driver of the car very well, and
when you sit in the car the driver comes to sit beside you in the back seat
and he let his trusted man take the wheel - but you donīt know how this
trusted man can drive - so you become unsafe and uncomfortable, and leave
the car"
I saw the presentation on TV think that was OK.

My last comment will be on NRP - Bah. I didnīt know him before I arrived the
Gambia and followed the campaign (my fault). But he was very lively, smiled,
joked, and had some charisma. I was very surprised that he came out with
that result. And because I did not know the man I had to ask my friends.
many of them said that they also found him as a coming man into politics.

The voting process
was shown on TV for all people to understand. All parties had got the
possibility to have party members at all poll stations and control the
voters identification, and the process.
I stayed in Banjul and went to see two of the polling stations. People lined
up from the morning, and even it took long time for the queue to move
everything went on fine. I have never seen Banjul like this. So quiet, very
few cars, not many people and certainly no business in the streets. I had
the feeling of visiting a totally different place, not a ghost town but
close to.
I was not allowed inside the room, but could from my view just outside see
how the procedure was running. To me it looks very controlled. Two times I
observed that the people present discussed voters registration, but solved
the problem. To me it look orderly.
I know that there in the days up to and after were rumors of foreigners
present with voters card, people with voting cards but not in the register.
But I think that IEC has given the voter credit, and has explanation to the
problems. And to me it seems strange if the party representatives present
did not protest or refused to sign the report, IF they felt that the voting
was not according to rules and regulations. That is exactly what they were
there to do. They should guarantee that everything was orderly done.
And it seems to me that the whole process was very liable and transparent
and a democracy worthy.

Over the night it was clear for all that Jammeh has got over the 50% needed.
But it took up till next days afternoon until IEC Roberts had all results. I
went to 22.july square with a lots of APRC supporters. They were happy. The
military present were also happy. The press were present. We were waiting. A
Lorry with two big cattle and sheep came. The message flew other the place
that Darboe has called and congratulated - the supporters cheered. Then the
final declaration over the radio, and Jammeh came out in his car and took a
short tour round the stadium and back. You could see he was tired but glad.

I think it was a good signal that Darboe called and congratulated. Some of
my friends (Darboe-supporters) found it humiliating to do so - they think
you signal that you are weak. But I explained it is not, this is a part of
the game. Like they have to say hello to their neighbors the next day even
they supported Jammeh. We are all gambians no matter what. That the
coalition was not strong founded was shown over the next few days, when GPP
said that Darboe didnīt spoke on behalf of the coalition, when he called
Jammeh. It was on his own behalf.

Saturday at 22. july stadium was celebration. People were in from all parts
of the country, many by foot. There were different bands, there were
traditional groups, and first of all there were many - I donīt know how
many, but I think more than 30.000. I waited to listen to Jammeh, and he
held a strong speech - as usual. He repeated the results, renewed promises,
send the signal to the west asking respect, and he was dancing, also the
wife. But I think that you have already seen and heard about that. The
gambian people has spoken, the said was clear. We give Jammeh 5 more years.
In my opinion there is no doubt that you all has to be proud of the
campaign, the democratic system, the transparency. I donīt ask all of you to
like the result. But as I see it this was a fine step to take.

In my opinion the political process has to be continued and continuous.
Jammeh,  and other politicians from parties said after election, that now
the politics and the debates and discussions was over, the rallies must
stop.
But that will be a mistake. If politics are only the few weeks up to
election every 5 years, the political education, and party-founding is not
strong. A party and its politicians must work all days, all years round. A
politician must go to see people at a factory, students a institute,
farmers, fishermen, come to the market, the garage and out there in the
compounds, the villages, the bush. Every day you must out and listen to the
people, meet the people, talk, debate, form your ideas, politic, strategies,
discuss, convince etc.

New people - new ideas, and more entusiasme.
In my opinion it is very important that a political party tries very hard to
make a platform inside the party, where new, young politicians can learn,
become trainees in the political business, can be tested and contested. They
must out and meet the people, and see if they have any appeal. I think that
both APRC, PDOIS but mostly UDP and PPP must try very hard to find a new
generation of politicians, train them, make them well known, so they can
step in and take over. The best thing a politician can do for his party is
to create a platform, so younger talented people can step in, when the old
ones step down. A politician who has been in the game for many years, must
one day take a step backwards, and let people with new faces, new ideas, new
energy take the first row. The elder is there to give advise, but he must
understand, that even itīs not the african tradition, an elderly leader must
prepare for his successor. Itīs not that we donīt respect the older
man/woman, itīs just that we think he/she has served well for many years and
deserve to retire gradually, sit in the background and advise and let the
new generation step in.

The coming parliamentary election
Soon after the Ramadan the campaign starts again. I donīt know what the
opposition parties will come up with, but I feel that APRC has got
entusiasme by Jammehs reelection. The election can in my opinion very easily
lead to a total majority for the APRC. Maybe I will comment on that later
on.

Under my stay I made other observations, and I will come back to them later.
I wanted to concentrate on the election because the gambia-l has been full
of comments and predictions on that.

Regards from Asbjørn Nordam