GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ceesay Soffie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 09:17:33 -0400
This is the question, Mr. Drammeh.  What's your answer?

I will go a little further with the Prince's soliloquy, relating it to what
we've been witnessing in the Gambia.

Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of
outrageous fortune - Yaya and his hangers- on have visited mayhem and murder
on Gambia and Gambians, abrogating people's rights,  the nightmare that
we've never known.  These are the consequences of complacency and
fence-sitting.  Do we sit on the fence or challenge and resist?

Or to take arms against a sea of trouble, by opposing them, end them.  - Our
children died, resisting the tyranny, refusing to have their will dwarfed by
the rogue regime, taking a stand that in my opinion no fence sitter will
take because by definition, fence sitters just sit, lending neither voice
nor muscle to any struggle for justice.

To die, to sleep, no more. To sleep, perchance to dream, aye there is the
rub ....... - Our children's' lives were snuffed and their dreams deferred
forever.  The ultimate sacrifice!  How do we remember their courage, their
passion?  Do we just straddle the pony at the junction of "soldier town and
half-die" or do we take arms against the butcher and his reps, go behind
"paagi Marché" to end their reign of terror?

How easy it is to be indifferent (the hallmark of a fence sitter) when we
are not directly or immediately affected.

This contribution is to the position you took and defended on a previous
email and I aim to convince you to re-visit your position, based on what I
know fence sitters to be.  Let me say that this is your prerogative as it is
Ous Bojang's.  I do not know you, but Ous I know.  Both of you have spoken
out against the atrocities being perpetrated by these former tin soldiers
and Ous has demonstrated with us against this butcher regime - this is not a
character trait of a fence sitter or is it?  Fence sitting is pernicious.
It is opportunistic which is the greatest danger to a nation.  Fence sitters
turn a blind eye when kids are shot at and killed, they do so again when the
Dumo's and Lalo's are arbitrarily arrested and detained without cause, radio
stations burned and their proprietors harassed.  Fence sitters do not seek
to improve social justice and equality.  Fence sitters encourage the abuse
of political privilege.  Fence sitting is a habit of weak men and your
postings give me no such impression. Fence sitters, wittingly, tolerated the
savagery and the blood lust of our "civilianized" military.   How much more
do I have to say to convince you that fence sitting, by most people's
definition is bad, bad, bad!!!.  Fence sitters think only of self and do not
have it in them to contribute to the collective.

Soffie