GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rene Badjan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:16:56 EDT
      As it stands now, most concerned Gambians abroad are doing everything
to expose the political realities in the Gambia; and those on the ground are
also doing what it takes to educate the people on the realities that they
face, preparing them to make informed decisions when the time comes to
express their will. The people will have to determine their own destiny. No
one should do that for them, as frustrating and hopeless as the situation
might seem, to some. But, to others, the situation is not hopeless. Political
parties and politicians can only give them alternatives.

      We need to have faith in the people. We may underestimate their will,
given the level of passivity and political apathy, but we should be rest
assured that when there is that collective feeling of betrayal, the people
will rise up to the ocassion and seized the moment. This will be the moment
of truth. Imagine people waking up in the morning, knowing that they have
voted a government out of office, only to be told otherwise. I believe, every
effort will be made to create the conditions that ensure, that when the
people decisively voted for change, their verdict will stand. Moreover, if
such a situation should arise, it will then be determine who owns power.
Except, of course, if the people may decide not to exercise this authority,
and give in.

       If the people, however, do not vote for change, then that is a
different matter. It will then be necessary to examine why the people would
vote to maintain a system that keeps them subjugated; why they would want to
maintain a political environment that nurtures all the wrongs that are an
anathema to our sensibilities. And, to what extend their level of orientation
and understanding of the political dynamics that shape their realities and
their lives, as well as ignorance and poverty, played in misusing their power
as pawns in this game of political interests.

     It is remarkable, the spirit in which Gambians are united, when faced
with a political situation deemed to be morally indefensible. Thus, there are
more than one ways to struggle against such a political situation. People are
guided by their convictions to determine their appropriate responses to this
political situation. Hence, some have taken the liberty to wage the crusade
on their own; others have formed forums, organizations, conferences,
movements etc to constructively engage the political developments. We may
choose to react to the political situation differently, given that our
purposes and intentions are different. This is a fundamental difference that
needs to be recognize. However, the morally reprehensible political
situation, may create the basis upon which political alliances could be
formed.

     The main concern, however, is how people will vote when the election
comes. We understand the dynamics that are at play in this process, noting
that while some want to change the status quo, others want to maintain it.
Against the backdrop of the repression, brutality, human rights violations,
and all the other wanton acts perpetrated against the people, and of which
voices have been loudly raised in condemnation, are the people sufficiently
prepared to end all these with their power at the ballot box? Or, is poverty,
ignorance and the culture of buying people's votes, create a possibility in
which the chances of changing the system could be lost? I believe, these
should be serious concerns. Thus, it is necessary to help financially and
materially, those who can facilitate the change so desired on the ground, to
battle for the hearts and minds of the Gambian people. This is very crucial.

     I try to envison a picture in which the people have failed to change the
status quo. After realizing what they have done, some of the people will
jubilate because that was what they wanted; others will  be sombre, knowing
that the same conditions may prevail until the next time around when the
people should express their will. Some in the opposition will cross carpet
and join the victors, leaving behind a weakened and demoralized opposition.
But, those whose concern has always been to empower the people, to educate
them so that they can determine their own destiny, may not be dismayed; they
will carry on their life long commitment to this goal.

     Somehow, between all these developments will be a group or groups, who
will contend that the repressive political atmosphere has not been healthy to
ensure that the will of the people have prevailed. What follows would be
every Gambians nightmare. I hope the people will make the right choices. We
should support, financially and materially, those who will help them make
these choices.

     As they say, "we are at a crossroad".

      Rene