GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 00:10:19 GMT
Hamjatta:

I've been really trying to hold fire because of the turn this debate has
taken -with all the shameless and baseless accusations that have been thrown
at us critiquing Mr. Sallah. But, I agree with the points you've made here
wholeheartedly. These are my problems with the '97 constitution, and Mr.
Sallah is yet to address these issues.

Mr. Sallah:

I believe you often lead yourself astray by seeing many things in  a purely
dichotomic fashion - if I can put it that way. In both this constitutional
debate, and Korro's case, you erroneously conclude that it's an either-or
situation, when in fact it's not. Yaya Jammeh defied Gambian public opinion
by putting in clauses (in the '97 constitution,) that would entrench his
reign, and taking out those that would check his excesses like the Term
Limit clause. According to you, rejecting the document would condemn
Gambians to living under the equally backward '70 constitution. No other
choices. But in fact, there is a third choice: re-writing portions of the
constitution.

If the '97 constitution had failed to pass in the referendum, the Jammeh
regime -despite all the bluff, would have had to go back to the drawing
board and come up with a document that is acceptable to Gambians. There's
nothing patriotic/altruistic about that -it's in their best interests!
[Ironically, Human rights under the more backward '70 constitution, is a lot
better than it is under this "improved" one.] Simply put, by prolonging the
constitutional write-up, Gambians would not have caught any more hell than
they've had under the finished product! So, what's this pretense about
hurrying to usher in "constitutional rule?" As it is, Gambians are asking
themselves:"what happened to the good old days?" Talk about jumping from the
frying pan to the fire!

And finally, for someone who purportedly is dying to see true democracy
[Govt for the people, Of the people, and By the people,] in the Gambia, I
cannot -for the life of me- understand how you could campaign so vigorously
for a constitution that openly defied the wish of a majority of Gambians
(two 5yr terms for the presidency.) Maybe it's my stupidity, but please help
me understand this obvious contradiction: You want democracy, but you had no
problems helping Yaya Jammeh ignore the results of the only truly democratic
election under him. Please help me understand this!

Saul.