GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:39:09 +0000
Laye, you got a point here and I think the papers should sensitize the
people to not attend this shame when they resume publication.  However, I am
not counting on our people, for many have been murdered by the state and we
continue with business as usual.  We cannot have it both ways, we either
stand up and fight or we are going to be plucked one by one.  This injustice
on Deyda is one of many injustices that has been going on in that country
but most of us chose to be philosophical about it.  Gamtel/Gamcel will have
the audacity to bring Youssou Ndure because they are comfortable that
Gambians will show up, as bizarre as that may sound.  Youssou will also
follow his wallet as long as Gambians sit pretty and entertain his presence
in the midst of this state sponsored assassination.  The private media
should be on the offensive.  The five party coalition talks are still taking
their sweet time even in the wake of this crime.

Gambians both home and abroad need to get off our bottoms and know that we
cannot assault our intelligence with praying.  When we do not want to do the
right thing, we hide behind prayer.  I have been reading the flurry of mails
just shaking my head when I read folks pleading with "the authorities" to
investigate this state sponsored murder.  Are we that naive or are we just
saying stuff just to say stuff?  Why do we keep on asking the same state
that murdered Koro, the students, and many others and now Deyda for an
investigation?  Since when does the murderer investigate himself?  Look,
Yaya knew that this will be the extent to our reaction - appeal, pray, wish,
and other non-action orientated postures, but never a mass uprising.  We
went to Senegal and fought with their fans in the name of football/soccer,
and trashed our way to Gambia.  However, Yaya is murdering us left, right
and center and what do we do, Pray, wish, appeal, plead.  Boy, sometimes I
wonder about us.  If most of us get up, Yaya will not last a day in that
country.  If you add the numbers in our army, military police, and police,
ours is not even 2,000 weak.  So, what's our problem?  Our problem is just
too much sitting.  We join nothing and contribute nothing, but criticize any
effort that does not make us the center of attraction.  None is going to
liberate us, but us, we can sit all we want.  Laye, a call to Youssou Ndure
is one such positive action.

Chi Jaama

Joe