GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 12:54:57 +0100
Yus

Welcome back!

You have raised some very interesting points which no
one should ignore.

I am particularly concerned about your comments on
Kebba Jobe. I personally think that Mr Jobe is using
this forum with contempt, coming here saying all nice
things about APRC, but when asked simple questions he
resorts to his deception tactics. If you remember this
man tried to express his sadness over the brutal
murder of Lt Barrow and others-November 11. Within 2
days this man tried to change his sense of grief by
claiming why Ebou Colly should wait until 6 years
before spilling the beans on the November 11
incident.Can we trust or tolerate this man ? I leave
you that question to answer.

In addition, we have asked several questions
pertaining to APRC's record but here he dodges the
answers. Can we therefore consider him(jobe)as a
genuine debater. Take for instance his assessment on
Governance under APRC, here again Jobe gives less
analytic version of events. To be honest with you, I
find it insulting to all of us. This man appears to be
support of a Government that would kill or maim
innocent gambians. No problem with that but be ready
to acknowledge and convince us why we should support
APRC.

Yus you wrote "The human rights situation in Gambia is
the same as in other Africa countries where atrocities
 are sanctioned daily by perfectly "legitimate"
regimes "

Whilst you may be right on the issue, should we
continue to tolerate it. Sorry to say I cannot
subscribe to that analogy. Taking Gambia's size
together with its political struggle I remain of the
view that our current human rights situation is one of
the worst in Africa. I know people will not agree with
me on this issue but I am prepared to defend my
assertion on this issue. Gambia under its Second
Republic should have been a beacon of hope for human
rights. The Constitution which was supposed to protect
human rights is constantly abused by its Architects. I
need not elaborate you know what I am talking about.

The Opposition parties in the Gambia are at present
going through a bad time. One day we hear that Mr X of
UDP has defected to APRC,the next day we hear that Mrs
Y an alleged coup plotter and former UDP supporter has
joined the APRC. Even civil servants who sympathise
with the opposition end up losing their jobs. This is
a sad situation but who do you blame? The Party for
not strengthening its grassroots support or the
militants for being mere opportunists. I personally
blame neither of them but the Government for carryout
such a dirty type of politics. Most of these cross
carpets are made with threats of intimidation. Take
for instance the case of Aja Fatou Mbenga, Was she not
accused of treason?  Well I am not surprised since the
Leader of APRC came to power by committing treason.

With regards to your comments on Pesseh Njie, we heard
his own version, dismissing all claims of defection.So
your comments on Pesseh are a bit harsh if you know
what I am trying to get at.

On the WaaJuwara Issue- I think there seems to be a
misunderstanding. What Juwara said was this women
should except preferential treatment in order to
fulfil their political ambitions. I see no problem
with this, perhaps you could enlighten me. Our Brother
in the struggle Hamjatta Kanteh has given us some very
good  resaons against affirmative action and feminism.

On the vote buying- this is an issue which we can no
longer tolerate, During the 1987 General Elections PPP
used this device to win seats from the opposition.
There were several seats which were won through the
vote buying scheme, Seats like Kantora, Central
Baddibu, Lower Niumi Basse, Tumuna, Banjul Central
Kombo South and many others were won through this
device.  Vote buying is actually a criminal offence
under the Election Decree 1995. Since there have been
strong claims of vote-buying in the By Elections, are
we not incline to raise your objection. Should we seat
down and allow our electoral laws to be violated year
in year out?.

I await your response

Have a wonderful day

Sanusi

--- Yusupha C Jow <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > In spite of
my self imposed hiatus, I have been a