GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Madiba Saidy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 12:00:00 -0800
Ramadan Mubarak to all!!

I have been very busy with school work (Invigilating / grading of exams),
hence my silence on the football thread. One correction though.... I live
in Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA. The LEED which appears in my email
address is an acronym for Low Energy Electron Diffraction, one of several
surface science techniques available in my lab.... Nothing to do with
LEEDS, UK. Ebrima Ceesay, please take note.

Cheers,

Madiba Saidy
Vancouver, Canada.
------------------

     In the name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.

RAMADAN: THE MONTH OF TRAINING

"All praises and thanks be to Allah, Who has guided us to Islam, never
could we have found guidance, were it not that Allah had guided us." Q7:43.
All praise is for Allah, the Lord and Cherisher of the universe. We
praise Him and seek His help and forgiveness. We seek refuge in Allah from
the evil of ourselves and the wickedness of our own deeds. Whomever Allah
guides, cannot be lead astray and whomever Allah does not guide, none can
guide him. I bear witness that none has the right to be worshipped except
Allah, alone without associate, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His
Messenger. May the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, his
household, his companions and all those who follow them in righteousness
till the Day of Judgment.

Allah, the Exalted, says: "O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you
as it was prescribed to those before you that ye may LEARN SELF-RESTRAINT
(and become pious)." Q2:183

Abu Hurairah narrated that the Prophet (PBUH) said, "Whoever does not give
up false statements (i.e. telling lies), and evil deeds, and speaking bad
words to others, Allah is not in need of his (fasting) leaving his food
and drink." (Bukhari 8.83)

Abu Hurairah narrated that Allah's Apostle (PBUH) said, "Fasting is a
shield (or a screen or a shelter). So, the person observing fasting should
avoid sexual relation with his wife and should not behave foolishly and
impudently, and if somebody fights with him or abuses him, he should tell
him twice, 'I am fasting." (Bukhari 3.118).

Allah knows us better than any other being because He created us. "Should
He not know He that created? And He is the One that understands the finest
mysteries (and) is well-acquainted (with them)." Q67:14. He knows that we
are capable of observing His commandments if we choose to and submit to
Him. The commandments of Allah are not beyond our capabilities, only evil
and arrogant people who follow their personal desires, passion and ego
will consider Allah's commandments impracticable or too difficult to be
observed.

Self-restraint is very important in the life of every individual; lack of
self-restraint can debase human beings to the level of animals. Faith,
righteous deeds and avoidance of evil cannot be achieved without
consciousness of Allah, self-restraint, patience and perseverance. Allah,
the Exalted, prescribed fasting to teach us self-restraint in order that
we may become conscious of Allah and become pious. Ramadan is the training
month for Muslims to imbibe self-restraint and learn kindness,
righteousness and how to leave time out of tight schedule for the worship
of Allah, the Exalted. The training acquired in Ramadan should be used
throughout the lifetime; it is not to be abandoned immediately after
Ramadan. A person who actually grasps the  true meaning of Ramadan
is he/she that retains the righteous deeds he/she performs and does not
return to the bad deeds he/she leaves during the month of Ramadan.

Praise be to Allah. Many Muslims now regularly attend mosques for prayers
at the scheduled time, read the Holy Qur'an, share their food with others
or feed others, restrain their eyes, hands, tongs, private parts, etc, and
wake up in the mid-night for the pre-dawn meal (sahoor) and Tahajjud. We
should resolve in our minds and be determined to continue with these good
acts after Ramadan.

Some Muslims are too lazy to wake up for Tahajjud and solatul Fajr (the
early morning prayer) in other months except Ramadan despite the fact that
they know their importance. They should know that if they can always wake
up for the sahoor in Ramadan, they can also wake up for these prayers in
other months if they take Ramadan as the month of training.

On Tahajjud, Allah says:" Only those believe in Our Ayat (proofs,
evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) who, when they are
recited to them, fall down in adoration and celebrate the praises of their
Lord nor are they (ever) puffed up with pride. Their sides do forsake
their beds of sleep the while they call on their Lord in Fear and Hope:
and they spend (in charity) out of the sustenance which We have bestowed
on them.  Q32:15-16.

"Establish regular prayers at the sun's decline till the darkness of the
night and recite the Qur'an in the morning prayer: for the prayer and
reading in the morning carry their testimony. And pray in the parts of the
night (Tahajjud): (it would be) an additional prayer (or spiritual profit)
for thee: soon will thy Lord raise thee to a station of Praise and Glory!".
Q17:78-79.

"Truly, the rising by night (for Tahajjud) is very hard and most potent
for governing (the soul) and most suitable for (understanding) the Word
(of Allah)". Q3:6. See also Q11:114, Q3:16-17.

May Allah accept our acts of worship, good deeds and forgive our sins. May
Allah accept our fasting and make it possible for us to continue with all
the good deeds we do and keep away from the bad deeds we leave during this
month. We should not forget the people of Chechnya in our supplications,
may Allah help them and all people that are oppressed.

I wish you all Ramadan mubarak. Peace be on you.

Surajudeen.
KFUPM, Dhahran, KSA.