GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 19:14:25 +0000
Mr. Sidibeh, thanks for your response.  "Gambians need access to US markets
more so than assistance. That is how we can develop and also sustain that
development".  Yes, that is exactly what I said and mean.  Currently, we may
not have mineral resources that can be exploited because the cost would not
justify the product, but we certainly have other natural resources galor:
Fisheries, Agriculture (not only peanuts), etc.  Not only do we need to sell
the unprocessed product, we also to need to process (add value) to the raw
materials to earn more foreign exchange.  It is this assistance business
that why Africa is burden with debt.  Currently, even the rice we eat is
imported, when we could have cultivated enough rice for home consumption and
to sell abroad.

On the issue of being "touchy feely", please be in the habit of critical
analysis when given information as opposed to just saying yes to every
that's presented.  I did say that the normalization of relations could be
good for Gambia if the opportunities are used to benefit Gambia and not the
president and his cronies.  So, where in this have I said that I am unhappy
about the normalization of relations, which you hinting?  I hope this
explains my position.  Let me know if you need more clarification.  Thanks
for your input.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou

>From: Edi Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Another Milestone reached - from The Gambia Daily Observer.
>Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:57:37 +0000

Mr. Sidibeh, thanks for your response.  "Gambians need access to US markets
more so than assistance. That is how we can develop and also sustain that
development".  Yes, that is exactly what I said and mean.  Currently, we may
not have mineral resources that can be exploited because the cost would not
justify the product, but we certainly have other natural resources galor:
Fisheries, Agriculture (not only peanuts), etc.  Not only do we need to sell
the unprocessed product, we also to need to process (add value) to the raw
materials to earn more foreign exchange.  It is this assistance business
that why Africa is burden with debt.  Currently, even the rice we eat is
imported, when we could have cultivated enough rice for home consumption and
to sell abroad.  I hope this explains my position.  Let me know if you need