GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Saikou Samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:09:14 -0000
MR Ceesay,

Great job done.You made mention of the unnoticed silent resistance of the Gambian people against such feudal and backward cultural practice as  very important in our struggle for a better Gambia ,this might well explained why the political and social agenda of the Gambian people and the Gambian political parties are always two opposite poles and in my opinion explained why Gambians do not believed that going to the polls means the road to their freedom,they go there(polling stations) to please politicians .Whiles there are very fundamental issues that  are always of great importance to the survival of our people, politicians shy away from dealing with such issues,in my opinion,a way of alienating the people from the main political struggle, and when ever people vote as they do some of us tend to blame them for been ignorance and or politically immature.Take the case of FMG,such issue was left to the women movement and to my understanding,no  political party has taken such issue as a political agenda and take a clear stand on the issue,even when the president threaten the Women movement that HE will not guarantee their security.I very much understand why Gambian women are now demanding that the issue of a Woman president be put on the Gambian political agenda.The forceful marrying away of young girls,as young as 11 years is another typical example,young village girls composed their own songs against such a decadent feudal practice,a form of resistance,and yet some of us still believed that the illiterates  don't understand the system of oppression that we are presently experiencing.I am of the  believed that the Gambian people are in constant struggle against this oppressive system,you see it only when you care to listen.
Yes ,it is no mistake from you that the political system exploit, to the maximum,  this semi-feudal condition,even with the understanding that no human development can take place without the total eradication of  such backward and uncivilised cultural practice.The free born and slaves concept is as false as the very system it holds to represent.Our present condition is enough example that the free borne are those with the economic and political power in the country.Without understanding that such concept are a divide and rule tools and very effective in positioning the ordinary masses in opposites poles,without taking such struggles of ordinary Gambian people seriously and put them on the political agenda and in perspective our struggle for a free and developed society will continue to lead us along unnecessary dusty roads.
Keep on the good work down there.

For Freedom
Saiks