GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malik Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:27:13 +0000
Habib & Yus,
I think Cameroon are currently the best side in Africa evident by their
passing game, technique and organisation.
I was rooting for Senegal and suppose many other Gambians had overcome the
'old-enemy' rivalry, not least for the lessons we can draw from their
journey.
In this match, Senegal played tactically everyone behind the ball (barring
Diouf) and hoped to catch Cameroon on the break.  Had Senegal continued to
play an open flowing game as in early spells of the first half, Cameroon
would have easily beaten them.  Atleast this approach took them to penalty
shoot-outs which could have gone either way.

Senegal can take heart from their performances but I can't see them (us)
proceeding to the later stages of the world cup.  For Cameroon, African
football has come of age!

On a different note, FIFA(CAF) should revisit its ruling to grant automatic
world cup places to African Nations Cup semi-finalists.  This is a bi-annual
tournament and can produce 8 different semi-finalists before a World cup
tourney.  Even if the African continent's allocation is improved, the ruling
doesn't help football development in our areas.  What do you think?

Finally am grateful for Senegal's victory over Nigeria which further dent
the myth about the flashy Ogas.  WHO SAID NIGERIA WAS GOING TO WIN THIS
TOURNAMENT!?

Njok malik