GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
pasamba jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:49:58 -0700
Mr. Conteh,
  The assertion made here is a fallacy. There is no provision in the constitution requiring members of parliament to resign their seats inorder to be able to run for the presidency, as you put it. Halifa Sallah has been nominated as NADD's flagbearer and it would be left to the electorate to determine who is best to run the affairs of the nation. the choices are as clear as day. On another note, if Ousainou Darboe runs, will the opposition?

  "It is apparent that sitting members of the house cannot run
for president, until they resign their seats.  Since tomorrow is the
deciding day for Halifah to consider, he deserves the ultimate right
to choose whatever he wants.  If he resigns and runs, will the
opposition win?  I don't think so."

  Pasamba Jow

Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Mr. Kujabi:

I concur with your assertion. It is frightening that it is
less than 4 weeks before we know our faith in The Gambia.
Regardless of our differences, it is integral that we assess
our opportunities and conclude with good reasoning the eventual
outcome of the Presidential election. If the trend continues and
we cannot come together, I am afraid the dictator will win.

One consolation may be the fact that the dictator has pull another
trick. It is apparent that sitting members of the house cannot run
for president, until they resign their seats. Since tomorrow is the
deciding day for Halifah to consider, he deserves the ultimate right
to choose whatever he wants. If he resigns and runs, will the
opposition win? I don't think so.

After many years of talk, we have made a mess to a point that we have
given the enemy leverage to decide our faith. It is highly unrealistic to have
two opposition parties running against a repressive government. As much as
I would like to see a yahya-less Gambia, our chances are slipping away by every
second because of our indecision. Most of us on Gambia L will not vote,
but some of us have negatively impacted our chances of winning. Tribal politics
and open hatred against Darboe, Hamat and their respective tribes should be
condemned by every Gambian.

It is so sad.

Naphiyo,
Comrade Jassey-Conteh