GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bailo Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:03:00 +0100
A Plea Bargain? Who proposed it? The Chief Injustice: Yahya Jammeh or his
accomplice in the looting of our State coffers: Lang Conteh? Who clearly
benefits most from the plea bargain? Yahya Jammeh and his gangsterist
regime, of course.
From my very little grasp of law, I can dare concude that whereas what Lang
Conteh stands to profit from the plea bargain is by no means clear or even
certain to him as the defendant, the following is at least guaranteed by the
plea bargain: The APRC regime has at least temporarilly been reprieved of
very serious criminal disclosures on how a small clique of criminals under
the direct gaze of Yahya Jammeh robbed Gambians of unknown millions of
Dalasis. Had Lang Conteh mounted a very robust and vigorous defence of his
role in the APRC's regime theft of millions of Dalasis from State coffers as
he originally intended, the trail would have surely led directly to Yahya
Jammeh's mouth. In order to avert such a compounding disaster on the grossly
dishonest APRC leadership, Lang Conteh must have been persuaded to enter
into a plea bargain in exchange for a lenient sentence from the State. Is it
any secret that in today's Gambia, only one guy acts as the Chief
Persecutor, Chief Prosecutor, Chief Judge, the Jury, Chief Lawmaker and at
the same, President? I don't think so.
If Lang Conteh wishes, he could even have entered a super plea-bargain
should there be any such provision in law. Hoevever whatever deal Afang Lang
reaches with President Yahya Jammeh to elude justice, the Gambian people
know that they are all guilty of defrauding the State. No extent of legal
manipulation can ever change that. Of the the two, I will add that Yahya
Jammeh is the more guilty and of all Gambians, he is also the most guilty.

Bailo