GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:25:56 EDT
Saul, Ndey and Ebrima, thank you very much for your contributions on this
matter. Ebrima, please thank your source for us for also registering the
disgust the decent Gambian folks feel about this matter. Ebrima, am sure you
and other young and dynamic Gambians in the UK are highly capable of
mounting a vigorous campaign against Yaya and his government. We just have
to let the authorities know, in no uncertain terms, that we do not
appreciate such types of 'aid'. Ebrima, you can complement your contacts
with those of other young Gambians we know that have contacts with some
British MPs. Yaya's every action must be attacked. As the High Commissioner
in Banjul indicated, this scholarship for Mendy is only a beginning. We
should campaign for the British to revoke the scholarship and cease all
military cooperation with The Gambia. We should remind the British that just
five months ago, this same military massacred innocent children in broad
daylight. Up to this day, no one has been punished for that heinous crime.
Before the British train our military for regional peacekeeping operations,
they should try and ensure that our military is not used by Yaya to
brutalize ordinary Gambians.
KB