GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:59:29 -0400
Jaiteh, it is true that in a court of law like the ones we have people
should be treated as innocent until proven guilty. However, that is
irrelevant to what we are talking about here. No one is in a court of law
here on G_L convicting Barrow and Sanyang for crimes they are innocent of.
Statements have been revealed and attributed to these people. Whereas Ebrima
and his Sources have vowed for the authenticity of these Statements, you and
people like you have NOT brought anything to show that these Statements are
not authentic. I put it to you that it is your duty (not the journalist's)
when you accuse people of peddling untrue stories that you prove that these
are bogus stories. The journalist already did his part. Until you prove
otherwise, I am going with what Ebrima and his Source said about the
authenticity of the Statements. If later you help us to determine that these
Statements are NOT authentic, then we will treat the Statements accordingly.

We cannot just say that the Statements are fake when we do not have proof to
that effect. On the contrary, we have people in Banjul vowing for the
authenticity of these Statements. So I do not know what you mean when you
say that we are treating innocent people as guilty of a crime they might not
commit. I am not a lawyer or judge in this case. I cannot do anything to
Barrow or Sanyang. Am I not within my rights to look at statements and give
my take on them? Granted if my statements are detrimental to your family
member you have the right to attack me. But for Heaven's sake, show me where
my statements hurt Lalo or any of the accused for that matter.

You still have not shown how our statements are hurting the accused persons
yet you did not apologize for insinuating that we are indifferent to the
plight these victims. Again, I reiterate and ask how did what I said put the
accused in more jeopardy? And please do not give us that garbage about
'element of surprise in court proceedings'. That is nonsense. What court
proceedings? Do you know what the prospects are for this case proper to be
heard in court? Besides, what is wrong in showing that the government does
not have a strong case against these innocent citizens? That the government
will see their weaknesses and hide? Just how is the government going to do
that from my statements? That is the crux of the matter. How did what I said
hurt Lalo?

I do NOT profess to be a real defense lawyer, but I sure know more about
what they do than you apparently do. Where were you during the OJ Simpson
Case? See, why I said that you to not have to be a real defense lawyer to
know what they do? The many hours Simpson's defense team spent before
camaras I wonder what you think they were doing. Jaiteh, the influence
information has on the minds of certain people is very vital. The government
side is out there. What we sought to do, was bring out Dumo et al's side.
What you are trying to say now is that we should just sit down and leave
that information to be unleashed on our people while we wait for a trial
that might never happen in order to surprise the government. Meanwhile the
whole world will think that Dumo et al are guilty because Barrow and
Francesco said so. If people do not believe in the innocence of Dumo et al,
do you think they will agitate for the government to bring this case to
court? By being silent and leaving the government side out there, we might
encourage the vermin to keep these innocent citizens in jail forever without
trial.

Unlike you, I will not accuse you of being indifferent to the plight of
those implicated by Barrow and Francesco. I just assume that you do not know
what you are talking about. Again, I challenge you to go to your real
defense lawyers and ask them to look at my statements and tell me how it
jeopardize the defense case. You always caution people about being civil and
sincere, yet you make the most insulting statement insinuating that we are
irresponsible, without backing up what you are saying.
KB