GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 14:57:23 +0000
Gassama, thanks for your observations.  However, the US knows that they
cannot fight more than one nation at a time and that is why they went around
lobbying for the Arab states to back their intension to attack Iraq.  Their
experience in 911 showed them that they may be a world power, but they need
others to help them police the world.  The Arab states do not need to even
fight, all they have to do is mobilize a united force and you will see a
change of tone overnight from the US posture.  Israel will continue to be
belligerent in that part of the world because they are allowed to do so.
Remember, the Boers in South Africa used the same tactic to destabilize the
whole Southern Corridor, until they were given the ultimatum by the majority
in SA.  The US was the main supporter of Apartheid, however, did you see
them come to the aid of the Boers?  No, because they knew what was at stake.
  Israel may be a friend, but you watch, when a force is mobilized by the
Arab States, this crisis will end overnight.  What you have here are
generals in the name of Powell, Chaney, Rumsfeldt, and Sharon.  All they
understand is aggression and the only way to stop them is to show them
something to consider, and that is Arab States mobilize their nations and
give the ultimatum that either all in this conflict perish or Israel leave
Palestinian territory.  I know the Arabs are not going to do that, thus the
Palestinians will continue to suffer.

Your suggestion for the Arabs states to use oil as a leverage is not going
to happen for three reasons.  One, the Arab states that pump oil have debt
to their ears and money from oil they need to pump in the future has already
been spent.  Secondly, the oil boycott will fail because other oil producing
nations will increase their production and even OPEC could not do that now.
Finally, the Arab leaders' appetite for high living will not allow them to
even thing in that direction.  Just like Africa, nearly everything they have
comes from the west, even the refined fuel they use.

Chi Jaama

Joe SAmbou